VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title mentions, my 2004 New Beetle turn signals stop working when I depress the brake pedal. When I push the pedal, the turn signals stop flashing on the outside, and the turn signals stay lit inside on the dash. I have tried replacing the hazard relay to no avail. Anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
The brake light switch; is a common failure, have you replaced that? A scan with a vw factory level scan tool; might reveal some trouble codes, which may indicate, the cause of the problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The brake light switch; is a common failure, have you replaced that? A scan with a vw factory level scan tool; might reveal some trouble codes, which may indicate, the cause of the problem?
Thanks for the reply. I will try the brake light switch next... I have taken the car two places and one refused to look at it because it was "electrical" and the other spent "3 hours" doing diagnostics and found the hazard relay switch needed replacing (even though I told them I already replaced it). Hence I'm hesitant to trying to take it somewhere else and waste more of time. Thanks I'll check back in!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the help... I replaced the brake light switch and it didn't do it for 2 days but again started this morning. Ugh!

·
Registered
15,626 Posts
Another issue, is the contacts get dirty; on the turn signal lever switch, you might get some contact cleaner and try that.

If that doesn't fix it; i would check all the bulbs/fuses, for burned, incorrect bulb type or corroded sockets, fuse holders. I would think, something is causing a electrical issue; when the brake switch and related wiring harness, bulbs, sockets and fuses are activated. Water ingress and corrosion; heat related damage to bulb sockets are known issues; so keep a look out for those things.

Here is a video, going over things to check and doing a process of elimination, isolating things, to narrow down the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts