VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 sport is turning over but not starting I’ve changed the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, valve cover gasket and the plugs and coils. When I start it up it just cranks and when I hold the accelerator down it just revs up them goes back to cranking any other suggestions?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Have you scanned for codes? How is your battery?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Basics: fuel, spark and compression. Have you scanned for trouble codes? Got spark at the spark plugs, is the fuel pressure and compression in spec?

Sometimes, the immobilizer will kick on and cause a no start condition and the little key light in the speedo will blink.

Give us more history on the car; year (2001), model (sport), engine (1.8T), trans auto or stick) and did it just stop running one day or did it die driving on the road, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basics: fuel, spark and compression. Have you scanned for trouble codes? Got spark at the spark plugs, is the fuel pressure and compression in spec?

Sometimes, the immobilizer will kick on and cause a no start condition and the little key light in the speedo will blink.

Give us more history on the car; year (2001), model (sport), engine (1.8T), trans auto or stick) and did it just stop running one day or did it die driving on the road, etc.?

It’s a stick the battery has just been replaced I forgot to mention that and it sat in my backyard for a couple of months due to lack of funds went to start it and nothing so I changed all those parts previously and I’m having trouble pulling codes my scanner apparently doesn’t like The beetle so I’m going to see if there’s something I can to do to make It work

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
A swapped battery can cause the throttle body alignment settings to be lost or kick on the immobilizer. A VW specific scanner; can enable you to do the throttle body alignment procedure. Volts wagon of this error that sits around for months and the battery dies; it is very common for the throttlebody settings to be lost.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
That seems like a typical obd II scan tool; i don't know why, it is having a connection issue? Aftermarket stereos hooked up incorrectly; can kill the bus connection at the obd II port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
  • That seems like a typical obd II scan tool; i don't know why, it is having a connection issue? Aftermarket stereos hooked up incorrectly; can kill the bus connection at the obd II port.

I’m just getting codes like this “j1850 vpw”

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
P1850?

It must be connecting; if you can read codes?
No it say j1850 vpw and some other things that aren’t codes Really codes any recommendations for a cheap code scanner that might work and I’ll buy it Friday

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
VCDS by ross tech is top tier @$199, (runs on windows based pc, notebook or tablet$; then obdeleven is a wireless dongle runs on android $65-$100; then many "vag" scanners on amazon (self powered thru the obd port; self contained) $20- - $150+. I would recommend a better scanner then just a code reader but one that can view live data and do things, like the throttle body alignment etc.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
In those no start cases; did you get a trouble code? Every, crank/engine speed sensor failure I have had; threw a trouble code, although I have heard some say, they have had some fail without one. I always replace crank sensors with oem Bosch; exactly, the same as the original.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
As to the VAG 401, we have had; a number of members, buy it in the past. The problem with them; is the lack of support and the unless, you know, what you are doing, not very user friendly.

While, not perfect; OBDEleven, is a wireless dongle, for your phone or tablet and has a app, which seems to be relatively user friendly. Again, when it comes to blocks and output testing; you have to know, what you are doing and this is a area, where OBDEleven, could be improved upon. I used VCDS, have since 2007; definitely, a solid VW scan tool and the support is amazing, really a bargain, for what you get.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts