VW Beetle Forum banner

Turns over but won’t start

2K views 30 replies 4 participants last post by  billymade 
#1 ·
My 2001 sport is turning over but not starting I’ve changed the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, valve cover gasket and the plugs and coils. When I start it up it just cranks and when I hold the accelerator down it just revs up them goes back to cranking any other suggestions?

#2 ·
Have you scanned for codes? How is your battery?

#3 ·
Basics: fuel, spark and compression. Have you scanned for trouble codes? Got spark at the spark plugs, is the fuel pressure and compression in spec?

Sometimes, the immobilizer will kick on and cause a no start condition and the little key light in the speedo will blink.

Give us more history on the car; year (2001), model (sport), engine (1.8T), trans auto or stick) and did it just stop running one day or did it die driving on the road, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Basics: fuel, spark and compression. Have you scanned for trouble codes? Got spark at the spark plugs, is the fuel pressure and compression in spec?

Sometimes, the immobilizer will kick on and cause a no start condition and the little key light in the speedo will blink.

Give us more history on the car; year (2001), model (sport), engine (1.8T), trans auto or stick) and did it just stop running one day or did it die driving on the road, etc.?

It’s a stick the battery has just been replaced I forgot to mention that and it sat in my backyard for a couple of months due to lack of funds went to start it and nothing so I changed all those parts previously and I’m having trouble pulling codes my scanner apparently doesn’t like The beetle so I’m going to see if there’s something I can to do to make It work

#5 ·
A swapped battery can cause the throttle body alignment settings to be lost or kick on the immobilizer. A VW specific scanner; can enable you to do the throttle body alignment procedure. Volts wagon of this error that sits around for months and the battery dies; it is very common for the throttlebody settings to be lost.

#10 ·
That seems like a typical obd II scan tool; i don't know why, it is having a connection issue? Aftermarket stereos hooked up incorrectly; can kill the bus connection at the obd II port.

#14 · (Edited)
VCDS by ross tech is top tier @$199, (runs on windows based pc, notebook or tablet$; then obdeleven is a wireless dongle runs on android $65-$100; then many "vag" scanners on amazon (self powered thru the obd port; self contained) $20- - $150+. I would recommend a better scanner then just a code reader but one that can view live data and do things, like the throttle body alignment etc.

#16 ·
#18 ·
#19 · (Edited)
In those no start cases; did you get a trouble code? Every, crank/engine speed sensor failure I have had; threw a trouble code, although I have heard some say, they have had some fail without one. I always replace crank sensors with oem Bosch; exactly, the same as the original.

#20 ·
As to the VAG 401, we have had; a number of members, buy it in the past. The problem with them; is the lack of support and the unless, you know, what you are doing, not very user friendly.

While, not perfect; OBDEleven, is a wireless dongle, for your phone or tablet and has a app, which seems to be relatively user friendly. Again, when it comes to blocks and output testing; you have to know, what you are doing and this is a area, where OBDEleven, could be improved upon. I used VCDS, have since 2007; definitely, a solid VW scan tool and the support is amazing, really a bargain, for what you get.

#23 ·
As to the VAG 401, we have had; a number of members, buy it in the past. The problem with them; is the lack of support and the unless, you know, what you are doing, not very user friendly.

While, not perfect; OBDEleven, is a wireless dongle, for your phone or tablet and has a app, which seems to be relatively user friendly. Again, when it comes to blocks and output testing; you have to know, what you are doing and this is a area, where OBDEleven, could be improved upon. I used VCDS, have since 2007; definitely, a solid VW scan tool and the support is amazing, really a bargain, for what you get.
I just noticed there is a flashing key as previously mentioned

#21 ·
Lack of support has rarely slowed this guy down much. Could probably wrote the manuals after a bit of playing around with such tech toys for a bit. Suppose that's not the case for many, so buyer beware on the VAG401.

BTW, I was turned on to this very scanner right here and never regretted it for even 1 second. Someone mentioned it seemed very close in menus and operation to one of the name brand scanners but never compared.

For general OBDII I constantly uxe my OBDLink MX. Tons of phone apps and some nice pic based programs used in the past. Forscan for Ford's was awesome.

#22 · (Edited)
Yes, it is very capable; if you can figure things out, we have had some buy it and struggled, at first to familiarize themselves with it. For a long time, it was a very affordable and capable scan tool; allowing some advanced features, that many of the early "vag" scanners, could not do. It is not terribly user friendly but if you can push through the learning curve, it can do many things the more expensive tools can do.

I think, OBDEleven, is the affordable and more current; way of doing things with a upgradable app and using devices, like a cell phone, that most of us, use every day. Unfortunately, the developers are out of Eastern Europe and seem to be struggling to fix things and improve the product. Support is weak and on the latest generation; many are having hardware issues with it and so, the first generation version, is recommended by the company, until they can work out the bugs in development.

#24 ·
That indicates the immobilizer is kicking on; try a hard reset of the ECU, remove the positive negative battery cables touch them together and reinstall.

#26 ·
What is going on with the scanner when you say it won't connect? Do you get any sort of error message?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.