NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 NB + 2.0l + Automatic / California

Stalls and recovers while driving: When driving at freeway speeds and the fuel tank goes below 1/4, the engine will briefly starve for fuel - maybe for a full second. It then recovers 'in a burst' and will drive without issue until I refill the tank. It feels like it's switching to a reserve (brings back memories of having a '59 Beetle with a reserve tank switch).

It only occurs once the fuel has gone below quarter tank and I don't recall it happening more than once per driving excursion.

Beeping from rear: Sporadically I get a tweet/beeping sound from the rear of the car. (sounds like a small whistle) The rate of the tweets increase and decrease depending on the vehicle speed but the opposite of a rolling noise - meaning they're faster when still and slower when moving. The beeps will go away for a couple days then return. I am also getting a 455 error code with the check engine light - no doubt related to this?

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
The error code and the driveability problem are probably related; get the car fuel pump pressure tested and see if anything is wrong. Test the evap system and find the leak (probably the sound you are hearing from the back).

16839/P0455/001109 - Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They could be related but the stalling problem has been ongoing for the last year - where the beeping and engine code is relatively new.

I should mention I did have the beeping problem once before but it went away when I replaced the EVAP purge valve last year. I've tested the replacement and it's working fine.

I've ordered a replacement gas cap (for the error code) on the chance it solves that (it was CHEAP on Amazon).

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
How old is your fuel filter? I would maybe change that out and see if helps things.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Mine did this when my fuel pump was on the way out. Salvage fuel pump and BAM... problem solved.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did replace the filter last year so it shouldn't be part of the problem.

What's so interesting is how 'reliable' the failure point is. You would think if it's the pump it would give me this failure at any time - but starving only happens once the gauge dips below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The pump is cooled by being submerged in the gas in the tank. When you get to 1/4 tank or so it is no longer completely submerged and looses its cooling. Its part of the reason you hear people say to keep the level above 1/2 tank.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had the same issue with car stalling at/below quarter tank of gas for about a year. I had done replacing fuel pump, fuel relay and fuel filter, I even had the oil pick up tube cleaned, but the symptom still existed. About a month ago, my throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. According to my mechanic, all these symptoms could be related to the faulty throttle body. The electrical part was on the way out but did not throw any codes until it failed completely. With a new TB installed, the above symptoms seemed to go away. So you might want to check/clean your TB just to be sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a new TB installed, the above symptoms seemed to go away. So you might want to check/clean your TB just to be sure. Good luck.
How long has it been since you replaced it? I've done those repairs that 'seem' to work, only to upgrade or downgrade that status after considerable driving.

Heck,I even did a valve body replacement on the transmission (for another problem) that seemed to not work only to have it suddenly start working and stay reliable for the next year. Then it seemed to have failed again, then it seemed to rectify itself.

Geeze these cars are so freakin' complex.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How long has it been since you replaced it? I've done those repairs that 'seem' to work, only to upgrade or downgrade that status after considerable driving.

Heck,I even did a valve body replacement on the transmission (for another problem) that seemed to not work only to have it suddenly start working and stay reliable for the next year. Then it seemed to have failed again, then it seemed to rectify itself.

Geeze these cars are so freakin' complex.
It's been a month since I had the TB replaced. The shop tried to clean it but it didn't work and turned out to be a bad electrical part. Everything seemed to be fine so far. No sudden speed drop or stall at quarter tank. And yes, these cars are complex, especically after all I had done to track down this problem, even my mechanic thought the car was haunted lol

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I did replace the filter last year so it shouldn't be part of the problem.

What's so interesting is how 'reliable' the failure point is. You would think if it's the pump it would give me this failure at any time - but starving only happens once the gauge dips below 1/4 tank.
Yeah.. then again after about 6 months of doing this randomly, after I got a stage 1 tune it immediately started misfiring under load. So I checked my fuel trims, the short term (or at idle) was normal but the long term was really lean. That's how I knew my fuel pump was dying. When I replaced it, it also fixed the random stalling on the highway.

If you have vag com, check the fuel trims. That'll give you a clue. If you need the channel for it, I can dig it up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have vag com, check the fuel trims. That'll give you a clue. If you need the channel for it, I can dig it up.
I do and will check it out - and look at the throttle body electronics.

Man, I miss the days when there wasn't so much 'voodoo' in solving engine issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you tested the fuel pump and testing the evap system for leaks?
Not with any testing gear - I've inspected lines and I'm replacing the gas cap (should come today).

I do have a fuel pressure tester for my GMC, wonder if it will adapt to the VW, need to look into that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts