NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a post from last year, I think by Technotrixd (sp?), about the two-way radios. A lot of people had extras they were bringing with them so everybody would have one. Is anybody from my neck of the woods going to have an extra 2-way with them this time around?

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
I will

Kristen,

I normally have four or five with me. I can lend you one for the trip. They are pretty cheap nowadays and pretty much Carabugvan standard equipment.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Kristen,

I normally have four or five with me. I can lend you one for the trip. They are pretty cheap nowadays and pretty much Carabugvan standard equipment.

Chuckie
Thanks Cuckie...you're the best. I saw they were going to be in use and was going to get a set (never have used them for anything before this and not sure I would use them for anything other than this). I talked to somebody at work about it and he started rattling off all the different kinds of radios and this doesn't work with that...blah blah blah...and I got scared I would end up buying the wrong thing. I figure if I borrow this time around and, I can see everyone else's for myself and I will know what I need for sure the next time around so I can buy the right ones.

Are you going to be a part of the FL carabugavan too? Far as I know we are meeting up with others in Jax Thurs night. I'm keeping an eye on that thread.

Now I just need to find a luggage rack if we do get to stay in Boone for the week after ToD. I know hubby and I can keep our luggage small for that, but I know that I can't count on my 2 teen girls to do the same. Afraid we will overflow the beetle's trunk for sure...lol. I wonder if U-haul rents those for beetles?

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Dunno

U-Haul used to have a small trailer that looked like a cargo container for a car top It was tiny and I think a motorcycle could pull it. Didn't have them everywhere though.

Just make the kids take all their old clothes you want them to get rid of and throw them away as you go! Use a vacuum packer to squish everything down so it will pack flat and nice. We always buy a couple tee shirts when we are at events so we pack a couple less on the way up. Pack your Bug like a submarine. Every spare inch of space gets used. Pack stuff under the spare tire, stuff things under the seats. Strap the kids to the roof. Whatever you have to do.

The radios are all pretty much the same these days, there will probably be 30 different kinds up there and as long as they are tuned to the same channel they will work fine. Sometimes too well as everyone loves to pint out that they saw a bird or a goat! "Hey Look everyone! A Tree!"

I live in Jacksonville so probably will be in the Fl Carabugvan up. We do/have met at the Sonic drive in the night before. Kinda a ritual type thing now.

Chuckie

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
U-Haul used to have a small trailer that looked like a cargo container for a car top It was tiny and I think a motorcycle could pull it. Didn't have them everywhere though.

Just make the kids take all their old clothes you want them to get rid of and throw them away as you go! Use a vacuum packer to squish everything down so it will pack flat and nice. We always buy a couple tee shirts when we are at events so we pack a couple less on the way up. Pack your Bug like a submarine. Every spare inch of space gets used. Pack stuff under the spare tire, stuff things under the seats. Strap the kids to the roof. Whatever you have to do.

The radios are all pretty much the same these days, there will probably be 30 different kinds up there and as long as they are tuned to the same channel they will work fine. Sometimes too well as everyone loves to pint out that they saw a bird or a goat! "Hey Look everyone! A Tree!"

I live in Jacksonville so probably will be in the Fl Carabugvan up. We do/have met at the Sonic drive in the night before. Kinda a ritual type thing now.

Chuckie
I'll have to check into that trailer. I don't know if dh would agree to strapping the kids to the roof but maybe I could put them on skateboards behind the car? We have a few of those. Are the radios FRS?

My kids still love the inside joke we took away from the Disney movie Brother Bear when the Canadian Moose were playing I Spy..."I spy something tall and brownish...TREE!" You have to see that sequence to appreciate it. Maybe we will play that on the way up over the radios for you...lol. We will be meeting up with you guys in Jax Thurs night so I am sure we will be doing Sonic too. See you there. Can't wait until May :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts