NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking cause we found out the hard, and very expensive, way that with the 1.8 turbo we should have been using synthethic oil. Fixed the problems and sold it. In the past week we bought a 08 with the 2.5. Called VW and they said to ony run synthetic oil. The place that we bought the car from changed the oil and used regular. My question is this....do we need to run synthetic oil? The car as 56,000 miles and I have no idea what the previous owner was using for oil. I am trying to take some preventative measures and make sure we are running the correct oil.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
You need oil that meets VW 505.01 or 502 specs. And I don't think any conventional oil does.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm surprised that VW didn't tell you what spec the oil needed to be. VW 502 I believe, which is synthetic.

Castrol Edge (aka Syntec) 5w40 meets this and is likely one of the easiest oils you'll be able to find anywhere as Walmart stocks it.

There are lots of other oils, just look for the VW 502 indicator (505.1 is diesel oil spec).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm asking cause we found out the hard, and very expensive, way that with the 1.8 turbo we should have been using synthethic oil. Fixed the problems and sold it. In the past week we bought a 08 with the 2.5. Called VW and they said to ony run synthetic oil. The place that we bought the car from changed the oil and used regular. My question is this....do we need to run synthetic oil? The car as 56,000 miles and I have no idea what the previous owner was using for oil. I am trying to take some preventative measures and make sure we are running the correct oil.
The oil cap or your owners manual should tell you the proper weight oil that you should use. Mobil 1 is great stuff, look for that in the proper weight recommended for your car, along with a decent filter such as a WIX, or a Purolator.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil cap or your owners manual should tell you the proper weight oil that you should use. Mobil 1 is great stuff, look for that in the proper weight recommended for your car, along with a decent filter such as a WIX, or a Purolator.

Hope this helps you out.
It does but doesn't say anything about synthetic...just the weight. After the mess we had with my other bug and going by what the owner's manual calls for...5W40 (no mention of synthetic), I don't want to go through that again. After the fact we found out we were suppose to be running synthetic instead of regular oil.

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
Here's a clue: Look in Owner's Manual. Use synthoil of the recommended weight and viscosity as determined by [the manufacturer] of [your car]. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use dino oil, even in my lawnmower. :mad:

[Full disclosure: Former fleet manager] :D

/thread

·
Registered
950 Posts
Here's a clue: Look in Owner's Manual. Use synthoil of the recommended weight and viscosity as determined by [the manufacturer] of [your car]. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't use dino oil, even in my lawnmower. :mad:

[Full disclosure: Former fleet manager] :D

/thread
My manual tells me to use oil that meets API Service SF or SG if I own a gasoline engine, and API Service CD if I own a diesel engine.

In reference to synthetic it states, "If you need to add oil between oil changes use any high quality petroleum- or synthetic-based oil with correct specifications."

It then has a chart of various oil weights and temperature ranges to use them.

So should I be going by what's in the manual and stop buying good synthetic oil and just start throwing whatever in there? You're a fleet manager, so I guess I should listen to your advice and just use whatever cause you gave such awe inspiring advice, giving us the clue to go by the manual. ;)

Thanks DUD!

·
Boogety Boogety
413 Posts
My manual tells me to use oil that meets API Service SF or SG if I own a gasoline engine, and API Service CD if I own a diesel engine.

In reference to synthetic it states, "If you need to add oil between oil changes use any high quality petroleum- or synthetic-based oil with correct specifications."

So should I be going by what's in the manual and stop buying good synthetic oil and just start throwing whatever in there? You're a fleet manager, so I guess I should listen to your advice and just use whatever cause you gave such awe inspiring advice, giving us the clue to go by the manual. ;)

Thanks DUD!
As you seem to have some reading comprehension issues, notice I said to use SYNTHOIL, and that I wouldn't use dino oil in anything. But you do what you want... it seems we deal with a lot of car owners who (a) buy a vehicle, (b) don't read the manual, and (c) try to make do with advice from everyone and their dog, except the people who manufactured the vehicle. I find this very amusing... :D

So, when you ask, "So should I be going by what's in the manual," stop right there, since the answer is YES, and synthoil is worlds better than dino oil. Try to keep up... :rolleyes:

·
volks r cool
273 Posts
oil

I find it hard to locate the Castro syn oil(5w-40w) on the market...The only place I have found is the dealership...and they also said it is hard to find.....

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
212 Posts

Thanks DUD!
Well, DUD, if you had a 2.5 manual, and read it, you would find the that only synthetic oil meeting VW standard 502 00 is to be used. And just so I don't appear to think that I know everything, like you apparently do, I'll qualify that statement by saying that it applies to 2009 and newer 2.5s. Go back to your TDI forums.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,963 Posts
I find it hard to locate the Castro syn oil(5w-40w) on the market...The only place I have found is the dealership...and they also said it is hard to find.....
Really? Castrol synth (called Edge now, used to be Syntec) is everywhere at all of the auto parts stores. 5w40 is what I run in my car. No problems finding it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the chart it is very helpful :D....I have been trying to find a repair manual for the 08 but they don't seem to make it yet. I guess I will have to break down and buy a bently manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts