VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first 2000 Turbo beetle about 9 months ago.

I love pink(to put it lightly) and started to customize my beetle to my liking. All modification are mostly cosmetic and done ALL BY MYSELF. And I think this quite awesome because I am mechanically challenged and took apart the car piece by piece to paint it.

My beetle's name is Tyra.why? Because she's black and Beautful of course!Just like Tyra Banks,in case you didn't get that ;)

ON TO THE PICTURES!

WHO did I get the Pixie Stick idea from? Such a good idea I stole it!!! :D

And now the modifications I am working on right now.
-I have taken the backseat quarter panels out to paint them. They are all painted and just need to be put back in(which hopefully will be done tomorrow!)

AND the LAST thing to paint is the center console.

....Where I stopped painting the dash! lol

:mad:NOW that my Beetle looks pretty I have to fix her mechanically!!She gets TERRIBLE gas mileage,sometimes she starts,sometimes not. And not to mention gotta fix the passenger side running board and rear bumper cover where the license plate light got popped out. And on Monday she gets a oil change and all those things checked!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK :D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh my where should i begin? you need a new headlight catch on the passenger side. seat covers are so not safe because you have airbags in the front seats. how are you painting the interior. you should have removed the steering wheel spokes and it looks like you just left it all in there to paint it.
:( wow,thank you for the comment? I was looking for "hey you're on your way!" or something a bit...nicer? I'm not a pro and I did everything with my limited knowledge,and that knowledge does not include taking off the steering wheel to paint the spokes.

And what is a headlight catch?And I took the dash out to paint it etc. And where are there airbags in the seats??

·
Registered
595 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I like the design above the rocker panel. Was that paint or a decal? I also like the pink VW badges.

As for the steering wheel spokes, you don't have to remove the whole wheel to paint them; you can just pry them off and then glue them back on.

The airbags in the seats are in the shoulder section, on the sides facing the doors. The seam has special weak stitching, so they burst right through it.

By the way, I'm also interested in painting my interior panels. Could you post a description of the procedure and products you used, and your evaluation of how well it turned out?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it makes you feel better, I like the design above the rocker panel. Was that paint or a decal? I also like the pink VW badges.

As for the steering wheel spokes, you don't have to remove the whole wheel to paint them; you can just pry them off and then glue them back on.

The airbags in the seats are in the shoulder section, on the sides facing the doors. The seam has special weak stitching, so they burst right through it.

By the way, I'm also interested in painting my interior panels. Could you post a description of the procedure and products you used, and your evaluation of how well it turned out?
Will the airbag not pop through the seat covers? They are very thin.And I tried to pry the spokes off but had no luck.

I would post a tutorial as I NEEDED one when I did it but with full time school and part time work I have no free time to fiddle around with those damn panels again! maybe sometime!

And it is a decal!!!So easy to put on and hold up through the weather!

·
Can you handle it??
1,673 Posts
I am not totally sure, but I don't think the airbags WILL deploy with your seat covers. They do however, make actual seat covers for the NB's with holes built in for the airbags. I'm not sure if they make them in pink though. You could get black and they would look nice too.
:):)

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
oh my where should i begin? you need a new headlight catch on the passenger side. seat covers are so not safe because you have airbags in the front seats. how are you painting the interior. you should have removed the steering wheel spokes and it looks like you just left it all in there to paint it.
^ That's a whole lotta rude, right there. ^ :rolleyes:

I think your car looks great. Seat covers are very well done and I really like the pink grill insert on the front.

I think the pink accents look great.

And welcome to the. org! :wave:

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I think you did pretty darn well! Looks good :)

As far as the seat covers go, while they look really good they WILL keep the airbags from being deployed. This is so much of a concern that the automakers publish warnings in the operator's manuals and the airbag manufacturers themselves promote awareness of what happens when you install non-factory seat covers. With a tight or even slightly snug seat cover, the bag may never fully deploy into position to protect you. Remember, with a side collision, there is no crumple zone; just you and that door.

I love the decal on the sides, too! Looks great :)
And welcome to the .org :wave:

·
>^..^<
586 Posts
You're NB looks great! I like the pink VW emblem. :)

What part of St Louis do you live in? I grew up on the Southside and recognized the St Louis Community College logo. :)

Keep the pics coming... :D
A~

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Hi & welcome! You did some great customizing but a few things should be tweeked. The seat covers though looking great will stop the airbags from deploying. You can make some that just have a strap to hold the back around the top & the bottom. The grill looks great! You should think about painting the back of the mirror too. I saw a checkered one that I'm tempted to copy. Also , maybe some pink on the wheels? Check out evilina's beetle.

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,832 Posts
This is what makes the New Beetle so cool ; Personal touches! :D

You have fun, do what you want, more power to ya! :party:

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I've just started painting pieces of my interior. I'm definitely not the most car savvy either. What paint do you use?

btw, I love the pixie stix in the vase! I've never seen that before.

·
Low & Slow
1,889 Posts
wow i wasnt trying to be rude just honest and helpful. there is a how-to section that will give you a lot of info on here. i wouldnt trust the seat covers if you got into an accident. thats scary. the headlight catch is what hold the headlight in position. my car is far from perfect so i wasnt trying to be mean just helpful. sorry if i came off that way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You're NB looks great! I like the pink VW emblem. :)

What part of St Louis do you live in? I grew up on the Southside and recognized the St Louis Community College logo. :)

Keep the pics coming... :D
A~
Florissant Valley Community College. You have good eyes!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've just started painting pieces of my interior. I'm definitely not the most car savvy either. What paint do you use?

btw, I love the pixie stix in the vase! I've never seen that before.
You'll find a lot of information if you search these forums.

I used auto paint. It has a semi-gloss in it. I forget the brand...The black I painted in the beetle is specifcally auto paint,however, the pink paint is "all purpose" spray craft paint. It says it's good on plastic,leather,etc etc.I put a clear coast enamel over the pink to make sure it hold up.

I RECOMMEND buying the repair manual. It has some information on taking apart your interior which helped me greatly when I took off my doors.It's like $20 at an auto part store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts