NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend, I hit a pothole and blew my tire. It's non repairable and now I have to buy new ones.
I've been shopping around for a decent but not too expensive of a tire and have found a few options. The only problem is, no one in town has then. They are special order only.
Are tires for new beetles always this hard to find?

Mine are 225/45-R17
Anyone bought these size before? What tires would you recommend. I wold love to buy the Micheline ones that are on my car but i was quoted over $1200 and I just can't afford that right now.
I am also looking at goodyear eagle GT at $139/ea or BF goodrich g-force super spot a/s at $160/ea or even at bridgeston potenza goi 9 grid at $127. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yep, Michelins aren't cheap. Here are your options, via www.tirerack.com
Tire Search Results

All in what you are looking for in a tire. Performance, Summer tire, Winter tire, All-season, combination. Lot's of cheaper brands. Cheaper tires also. A lot depends on what you are looking for in performance and when you want to replace them again. Typically you get what you pay for.

If you don't buy from TireRack, it is at least a good source for comparison. And national outlets such NTB are set up to take delivery and install their tires. That said, my local NTB will match their prices (of course after shipping is added), or wait for and install those furnished by them.

Tires are almost a personal thing, and personal preference, kind of like the shoes you wear. What makes sense for one person, makes no sense to another.
Michelin makes 70k mile tires.

I rum Michelins on my Burb and all my service vehicles, and have done so for years. Dozens of sets. My Vette on the other hand has Goodyear 20k mile tires that cost way more. Excellent performance, no life. Not sure what will go on the NBC when they get replaced, but as a daily driver, Michelin will certainly be a strong consideration. I have factory 17s on a 2.0L.

I used Toyo on a 300ZX, I had years ago (high performance) but they were a magnet for nails, screws, etc, on the road, was always repairing and replacing them. My experience with Michelin - I don't even buy road hazard. I have NEVER had need to change or replace a Michelin tire. Ever.

MORAV

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
Different size tire than my '99 NB had but I got a set of Kumho Solus tires from Discount Tire last year and they were around $100 each. I was extremely happy with them. Sad that two of them got destroyed in my accident with only 5k on them :( Hubby has them on his Honda as well and they are great. Discount Tire also had a nice warranty type thing that you can pay a little extra for and get your tires repaired/replaced for free, along with free rotate and balance and airing up anytime. My hubby's car is a nail magnet so its been nice to have that option. They had the size for both of our cars in stock too, but again, I had a '99 with 16's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely need something good in rain, snow and ice and talked to my local vw dealership today. They recommended a continental tire and discount tire had them for $680 where the vw dealership had them for $800+. Same tire. Obviously you are paying more for the work. I am probably going to go to discount tire, but of course they don't have them in stock.
Anyone used continental before?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
This is probably best suited for the wheel+tire section of the site rather than the classifieds since you aren't buying from a member here.

I've heard good things about Continentals but I've never used them. I had Hancooks on my NB when I got it and they were ok, but weren't great in the rain and they dry rotted long before the tread was worn (I had about 4 years on them when they started to crack a bit, less than 50k on them when they were finally replaced at 5 years of usage). The Kumhos I loved. Great in the rain, quiet. I have Nittos on my GTI from when I got the car. They feel fine, but I'd probably end up buying another set of Kumhos once I need to replace them. Don't drive the car much in the rain because of the cold air intake, but they seem to do well.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love Continentals, I have them on my Smart in the UK (lots of rain there!)

I have Fuzions (made by Bridgestone iirc) on my Elmo out here, they are pretty good in the rain too.

Kate

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to use Kumho SPT on my WRX and I enjoyed those, reasonable price for what they were. I have ASX radials on my beetle now, a little soft on the walls but I dont do much "spirited" driving in the beetle like I used to my WRX.

-P

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love Continentals, I have them on my Smart in the UK (lots of rain there!)

I have Fuzions (made by Bridgestone iirc) on my Elmo out here, they are pretty good in the rain too.

Kate
I've used Fuzion ZR's and I dont like them at all. Many "close calls" when I compare them to other tires I've tried.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Mine are HRI (I think!) not ZR I don't know which is which but these grip pretty well, my UK bug has Komet brand on which are a cheap brand but were new & on there when I got it they grip pretty well too!

I guess it depends on your road surfaces.

Kate

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I ended up getting continental tires. Love them so far. My car drives so well!! Thanks for all the help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts