VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 1st bug on Friday :D Wanted one for years, but at long last they have come down to my budget :D

Its pretty stock apart from the wheels, lowered suspension (red springs are all I can see at the mo) and a K&N induction kit. its also had the front numberplate relocated and the old screw holes (mostly :rolleyes: ) smoothed. It does have some paint issue (lacquer peel and some bad paint repairs), but I should be able to sort that with time and I am loving driving around in it even if my workmates think I'm mad :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the welcome :)

I do like the pastel yellow too, although I wasn't specifically after one (I was expecting to end up with either a silver or techno blue one), but this one came up for sale a few miles down the road :D

I do like the alloys, although I am tempted to go down the retro route and get a set of steels (poss band the rears a few inches) and some whitewalls and big chrome hubcaps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, 1 week and 600 miles and the check engine light has come on :mad: So I've ordered a scanner to have a look at what the codes are and reset it on Monday.

Did have a poke about under the bonnet, seems the K&N kit is missing the mounting steady and 1 of the zip ties that where trying to hold it in place had snapped. I've redone them (and got the filter off at the mo for a clean and re-oil) so we shall see if that makes any difference (I had just driven across a very bumpy farm yard).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow like the wheels. post pics if you do decide to change them , but keep the old ones as i sure you will eventually decide they look better.
You might be right, but I like the idea of a set of 15" golf steels running 205/65's on the rear (which I have a pair sat in my garage)not sure on fronts yet (perhaps a 195/65 as I've got one of them too :p) with some deep whitewall flaps and the big hubcaps. It might need lowering further and perhaps even a bit of rear camber added in too to complete the aircooled look

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, OBD2 scanner arrived from Amazon on time so headed out to see what it said.

Came up with 1 live and 4 logged faults.

Live was
- P0304 - Misfire on Cyl 4

Logged was
- P0134 - O2 sensor no activity
- P01FF - Didn't have this on its database :confused:
- P0302 - Misfire on Cyl 2
- P0171 - system too lean bank 1

So I cleared them and went for a spin round the block and no warning light :) Will stick it back in and scan again when I get to work tomorrow and see if anything has come back up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If and when you want to look up codes; check out the Ross Tech Wiki: (excellent info and VW specific troubleshooting ideas)

Ross-Tech Wiki

By the way; which scanner did you get? :confused:
Cheers, I shall have a read through that later :)

Been out at lunch and checked, only got 1 pending fault code logged (after 40 miles driving and 3 starts) and thats a P0304 again.

this is the scanner i bought
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0063FSIQ4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, been a further week or so and had the light come on twice, both times just No4 miss so today it went in for a long overdue service. The plugs were gen VW items, but very old and massive gaps, now idles much smoother and the pollen filter looked like it had been in there for years :p So we shall see if the miss comes back, the garage suggested a set of leads would be the next thing if it does come back. Other than that, its going to need discs and pads in the next 6 months (any suggestions welcome) and they found a small amount of play in the bottom ball joints, so new arms will go on with the discs at the MOT in Aug.
So with the thumbs up from them that I haven't bought a complete lemon ( ;) ) its time to start making it my own so a set of 15" golf steels will be sourced shortly along with some wide whitewall flaps to go with the 195/65's for the front and the 205/65's I've got sat in the garage for the rear along with a set of the big hubcaps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts