NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Computer Geek
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before I do anything dangerous, has anyone else experienced a rattling noise at idle that seems to be coming from underneath the console? When I roll down the windows, I can hear it ouside the car too. I'm assuming only other TDIs will experience this since the TDI idles differently than the gassers, but I could be mistaken. It almost sounds like a washer is loose or something. Very metallic and ringing, and only really at idle speeds. It sounds like it's directly under the gearshift, and it tends to go away when it's hot outside. Regardless of engine temp though, it's there, so I'm assuming it's not an exhaust issue. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm none too excited about crawling underneath there and banging around on things unless I have a good idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks in Advance,
-Cam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey overheadcam,

I have the same mysterious rattle and my trusted VW mechanic just told me that it is the catalytic converter. I called my local VW dealership and it is still under warranty. I know that I also read another thread tonight that talks about the warranty being extended, but I don't know how to link to that for you so maybe you can just search for it.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
overheadcam said:
Before I do anything dangerous, has anyone else experienced a rattling noise at idle that seems to be coming from underneath the console? When I roll down the windows, I can hear it ouside the car too. I'm assuming only other TDIs will experience this since the TDI idles differently than the gassers, but I could be mistaken. It almost sounds like a washer is loose or something. Very metallic and ringing, and only really at idle speeds. It sounds like it's directly under the gearshift, and it tends to go away when it's hot outside. Regardless of engine temp though, it's there, so I'm assuming it's not an exhaust issue. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. I'm none too excited about crawling underneath there and banging around on things unless I have a good idea what I'm looking for.

Thanks in Advance,
-Cam
It is more than likely the mounting assemblies that use rubber attached and isolated hangers from the very front of the exhaust to the very rear end. Since this noise is coming from directly under the gear shift, I would assume it was the very front hangers that that attach to a support beam which holds 2 rubber isolating mounts. This mounting device is just ahead of the cat. Just after the cat., another 2 sided hanger is used just before the resonator. All that needs to be done is the car be lifted on a lift and the exhaust moved back and forth and the portion with the most movement would be the prime hangers to be suspect of. The cat. can also be checked at this time for the internal substrate that may be broken and in pieces. Good Luck, JK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts