NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know the technical terms for things so.... The shroud that is under and on the driver's side of the engine on my 2000 Beetle has broken and come off.
1) Is it important to have on there?
2) If so..., where can I get a new one?
3) Will I need to take out a new mortgage to pay for it?

Bob
Spearfish, SD

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The dealer is the best option on getting a new one (only cost your left foot). The plastic ones are meant to keep the mud and dirt off of the underside of the motor, provide aerodynamic drag reduction, and keep engine heat contained.
They add no protection to your oil pan against rocks, ice chunks, and other road kill. If you are willing to give up your first born child, consider a steel skid pan. In the blink of an eye, mine saved my motor from being destroyed by someones spare tire. The truck in front just went over the wheel, I hit it. Well, the skid plate hit it, and we just sort of bounced over it. See this: http://dieselgeek.com/panzer.php

·
Super Moderator
14,766 Posts
Mine disappeared last year. I was wondering if it is really needed, or how much a new one would be. I may be considering replacing it, as I plan on keeping my car for a long time.

I'm glad to see this discussion.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Replacing all three parts of the under-engine cover will cost, not including labor charges, almost $200.

For ~$300, you can get a Dieselgeek Panzer aluminum skid plate.

Mine tore off a year ago. Thankfully, I live in LA and don't have to deal with rain all that much, not to mention it's not a daily driver for the time being, so I'm not too worried about it being naked while I figure out how to add a Panzer to the budget. Christmas, I think.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
I dont have the Panzer, but i have the old school steel one tha weighs like 40 pounds and has almost no ground clearence. it's awesome. I love giving people rides, it totally freaks them out when it hit stuff (massachusetts roads SUCK!) and i tell them it's supposed to do that. :)

Maybe that's why i'm ususally not the one driving when I'm out with friends.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Replacing all three parts of the under-engine cover will cost, not including labor charges, almost $200.
Resurrecting an old thread here...

That's what I thought it would cost me to replace the belly pan on my 2000 TDI. I'd been wiring the old one back on since I got it, because it was still doing the job...just the torx screws were missing.

But I called Jim Jard VW in Northwest AR....they want $259 for JUST the big part on the bottom. I often feel ripped off by this dealer, but it's the only one within 100 miles. I happened to have the Little Rock dealer's number in my phone...same price.

I'm going to buy an aftermarket one, but why have the belly pans gone up so much?

Tuck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Belly pan $$$

The belly pan on my '98 tdi slowly deteriorated over time, first the torx screws let go and I wired it on, then the half under the tranny got implanted into a suicidal porcupine. Then the half under the engine ripped off going through some snow about 4" deep. By the way, when the belly pan was still relatively new, a towtruck operator rammed the oil pan with his wheel lift bar, and dented/cracked the oil pan with only a slight scratch to the plastic belly pan.

The roads in Northern Alberta are often covered with snow, pit-run gravel, rain, ice lumps, and road-pizza critters of all sizes.

The last bits of the belly pan dropped off about 100k miles ago, and there have been no issues. I do notice more road crud in the engine bay, however it has not precipitated any failures. I'm sure those aluminum pulleys on the serpentine belt path are experiencing extra wear from the extra grit flying about, but the serp-belt hasn't been destroyed. I do have the serp-belt replaced every time the cam-belt is changed, so it doesn't really get a chance to get really worn out.

The dealership quoted a price of ~$400 for the stock plastic iterm. They still have it in stock.

Just my 2 cents...
Mathew Banack Round Hill Alberta Canada

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
I bought my GLS 2001 Beetle used, knowing it was missing its pan. BB had its 60,000 service this morning and got an estimate... he said all three parts needed to be replaced, $195.00

Do you guys think this is something maybe my boyfriend can do on a weekend? If so, please reccommend some places to purchase the parts... I wil check out the links already posted.

If someone has pictures of "how to" I would be so happy if they pointed me to that thread.

$195 isnt so bad, but its frustrating enough to seek other solutions.

Thanks for anyones help up front.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts