VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Turbo s beetle has had many problems in the past 2years. It would randomly be dead when I went out to start it. The check engine light was my friend on my dash for the past 4-7months. It also had many other things replaced and I've spent nearly $2500 on it in 2 years NOT including normal wear/tear items like the tires and brakes.

Last week I drove to work only to arrive with my car smoking and giving me every dash warning light imaginable. I put some extra coolant in it and some oil and tried to drive it home. It made it, but it was smoking like a fire and leaking coolant. I towed it to my mechanic. He replaced a coolant pipe and a bypass coolant tube and said it was fixed. I take it home and once again she is smoking and leaking coolant. He tows it back to his shop. After 2-4days he finds out the radiator fans are not kicking on. He spends another 3-4days trying to figure out WHY they were not turning on after 10-15min of the engine running (thus only causing it to overheat when I was driving it for 10+min) He determined it was a short in the electrical wiring, but that he just couldn't figure out where. He told me to take it to a VW dealer. I get to to the VW dealer and they give me many things wrong:
1)Thermostat needs replaced
2)Water pump and timing belt need replaced
3)Radiator fans need replaced
4)Under hood fuse box needs replaced

I call my mechanic and talk to him. VW wants nearly $4k to fix these tings. My mechanic says that I don't need a thermostat or timing belt as I replaced those last year. Also he checked my water pump TWICE and he knows that is not a problem. He suggested getting JUST the underhood fuse box replaced and see if that fixes most the things. I just dove it home from the VW dealer and it is runnining well. It is not overheating and to top it off my AC kicked on when I started the car my AC has not worked in 2 YEARS! Is it really that simple? A underhood fuse box replacement was the cause of all these other repairs???!!!

The BAD/WORSE news is after this week long headache I went out and bought a new/used Honda Element. I'm at the tiem in my life I do need something bigger than my beetle and I need something reliable that I don't have to spend $500 on it every 2-5months

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
The fuse box; has MANY things connected to it, it is possible that was causing quite a few of the problems you described. If the fuse box was melted; you might want to have the electrical system checked for what was causing the wires to heat up and melt the fuse box (common problems: worn out cooling fans, wiring to the starter causing too much resistance, other components worn, causing too much draw/heating up the wiring)We all love our New Beetles; as they age, they will need more attention and repairs. Thats the first Pink Turbo S I have seen; must be a repaint? :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fuse box; has MANY things connected to it, it is possible that was causing quite a few of the problems you described. If the fuse box was melted; you might want to have the electrical system checked for what was causing the wires to heat up and melt the fuse box (common problems: worn out cooling fans, wiring to the starter causing too much resistance, other components worn, causing too much draw/heating up the wiring)We all love our New Beetles; as they age, they will need more attention and repairs. Thats the first Pink Turbo S I have seen; must be a repaint? :)
Oh yes, I got it repainted 2-3months after I bought it.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
Pink Bug - I live near St Louis ( I work there but live in Southern Il) - I have become quite skilled at Bug repairs maintaining my daughters 03 NBC 1.8Turbo. I 'fixed' the melting fuse box over a year ago and haven't had any issues since then (at least not with the fuse box!):) - I did just replace the alternator (along with the serpentine belt) and the disintegrating washer fluid line. I went through 5 fuse boxes and associated wire harnesses before fixing it permanently. I ordered a new wire (heavier gauge) that connects the alternator to the fuse box. I had to make a new connector for one end but the total job was less than $20.00.:):) If you haven't sent the bug packing I would be happy to check it out and give you some free advice. I have maintained this one for over two years, replaced both front axles, rebuilt the rear window lifts, replaced the alternator, spark plugs, secondary air pump, a bunch of vacuum lines and one way valves, still finding things to 'repair' almost daily as the PO failed to do even the most basic maintenance.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
too cute

My 2004 Turbo s beetle has had many problems in the past 2years. It would randomly be dead when I went out to start it. The check engine light was my friend on my dash for the past 4-7months. It also had many other things replaced and I've spent nearly $2500 on it in 2 years NOT including normal wear/tear items like the tires and brakes.

Last week I drove to work only to arrive with my car smoking and giving me every dash warning light imaginable. I put some extra coolant in it and some oil and tried to drive it home. It made it, but it was smoking like a fire and leaking coolant. I towed it to my mechanic. He replaced a coolant pipe and a bypass coolant tube and said it was fixed. I take it home and once again she is smoking and leaking coolant. He tows it back to his shop. After 2-4days he finds out the radiator fans are not kicking on. He spends another 3-4days trying to figure out WHY they were not turning on after 10-15min of the engine running (thus only causing it to overheat when I was driving it for 10+min) He determined it was a short in the electrical wiring, but that he just couldn't figure out where. He told me to take it to a VW dealer. I get to to the VW dealer and they give me many things wrong:
1)Thermostat needs replaced
2)Water pump and timing belt need replaced
3)Radiator fans need replaced
4)Under hood fuse box needs replaced

I call my mechanic and talk to him. VW wants nearly $4k to fix these tings. My mechanic says that I don't need a thermostat or timing belt as I replaced those last year. Also he checked my water pump TWICE and he knows that is not a problem. He suggested getting JUST the underhood fuse box replaced and see if that fixes most the things. I just dove it home from the VW dealer and it is runnining well. It is not overheating and to top it off my AC kicked on when I started the car my AC has not worked in 2 YEARS! Is it really that simple? A underhood fuse box replacement was the cause of all these other repairs???!!!

The BAD/WORSE news is after this week long headache I went out and bought a new/used Honda Element. I'm at the tiem in my life I do need something bigger than my beetle and I need something reliable that I don't have to spend $500 on it every 2-5months
Very cute looking bug and owner congrats. You might have a bad fan control module or the fans themselves or both. I had the same problem two weeks ago I had to remove both fans, rebuilt and put back I also replaced the fan control module. Just replacing the fuse box is a temporary fix and the problem will come back later. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts