NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my new/used New Beetle. It's got the Color Concepts package, 5sp 1.8t (sweet motor), 17inch wheels, and nice window tint. I put in a DIY short ram intake. The speed censored spoiler does make some noise but overall the car has been solid after daily driving it for 8,000 miles. Just make sure you give the turbo fresh oil regularly if you choose to drive your car aggressively. The car handles great, love the way it sticks to the road. Very sensitive steering you can focus on the road and not worry about the car's handling abilities. Overall great experience, love the hydraulic clutch system, smooth shifting. Plan on doing small stuff, nothing to change the apearance of the car. Would love to get factory HID's. I want to upgrade the DV to a Agency Power unit. I'm taking to a Volks dealer to maintenance, gonna upgrade the timing belt to a stronger one in the near future (they install parts if you bring em).

Thanks for checkin' out my car.

20130503_131411 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130503_131351 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130503_135912 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130503_131425 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

Its hard to think of a name for this car. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
14,784 Posts
I love red, and I LOVE the Uni-Red Color Concept NB! Those seats are to die for! (where is that "faint" smilie?)

More pics, please, inside pics! :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the interior. Messy I know, its my daily. Its got a lil Kenwood stereo, sounds good. I like the sound of the turbo better though, its better than music.

Nothing too fancy, just some racing bucket seats. The lateral support is nice when doing autoX or tight turns in general.

20130510_151158 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130510_151202 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

20130510_151208 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

Heated seats are nice on those really chilly days

20130510_151214 by CiboloNative, on Flickr

·
Registered
108 Posts
Welcome :)

nice two tone interior, i see you have heated seats as well!

you should flash your beetle with revo or apr for better gas mileage and make it a little agressive :cool:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
Big fan of your beetle! Love the uni-red cc beetles.

I've always liked the name "Pepper" for red cars. A name will come to you.

Keep the pics coming.

BTW, You Texans need to get a beetle group cranked up:thup:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the car at Carmax, it has an extended warranty until 125,000 miles (MaxCare). I don't think I'm able to reprogram the motor. I do think I will be able to put in a DV and uprgraded timing belt, I'll keep all stock parts. I kept the original intake as well. It was Carmax Quality inspected so I'm assuming the TB has been at least checked within the last 8,000 miles. I'm paranoid so im gonna put a new one in anyways.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
I like the way you think. Don't leave nothing to chance with the dealership... especially with a used car dealer. you will breathe so much easier knowing that you have a new timing belt and that baby of yours.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Under da hood!

20130511_222143 by CiboloNative, on Flickr\\

Short ram with improvised breather. I watched a video about pod filters and said what the hell. I think on hot days, I lose a lil power. I basically knew that it was going to induce more hot air than the factory air box. On the brighter side, on cold mornings it rips nicely once its warmed up. The sound of the diverter valve is really cool. It swooshes once you let off the accelerator. It does have a little bit of compressor surge just under really low boost and rev matching gears. I wish I could set the brake pedal equal to the clutch and accelerator, they're staggered stock so its hard to rev match with your foot not being able to be partly on the brake. Makes it kind of scary down hill rev matching. But under basic easy driving its a nice car. I love it. Sorry for the digression.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
Beautiful. I have the Double Yellow Color Concept. I do love the Uni!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like all the Color Concepts. The seats are really nice and the whole car is color themed. I wish mine had a 6sp.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a news tidbit for y'all. My secondary air pump went out today. Threw a CEL and now I'm going to have to take it in to have it replaced (or attempt to replace it myself).

Don't know if any of you have expirienced this same problem but the repair cost from Volkswagen dealership is around $1,000.

I haven't searched the part alone but I'm guessing its above $500.

Anyways got the oil changed and left. They also reminded me about my timing belt. I gotta replace that too.

I have an extended Carmax warranty. $250 deductible on replacement.

My next option is to have a computer hacker to re-program the comp to not throw the CEL for the air-pump code. The service repair man knows a guy that knows how to re-program VW's. He removes traction control on the new RR's. He's a wizard. I'm sure that he can vag-com the code out. I really want to delete the whole assembly all together, just relying on him deleting the CEL.

Anyways I'll post up on what happens.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SAI / Unecessary vacuum delete
CEL defeat
Profit
after fair amount of Googling, I have gathered some more information. I have found that there are applications on deleting the secondary air pump (Forge SAI delete plate). I have also found mixed results on Vag-com and deleting the CEL. Some say you can, some say you can't.

The only thing I'm relying on is feedback from the VW wizard. I'm not even going to attempt to alter the programming on the computer, It's not my niche.

·
Super Moderator
20,854 Posts
Replace the SAI yourself. if you can locate the pump, have a little paitence, and know how to turn a wrench, you can do the job yourself. my pump did not go out, but the rivets worn out and became loose, so I had to do the repair, replacing the rivets. The SAI pump repair/replace is one of the cheapest DIY's you can do AND one of the biggest dealership ripoffs out there.

there are some posts/threads out there, where people are selling used secondary air pumps on the cheap. even a new air pump is a lot cheaper than the $500 you're estimating.

As for me, I'd rather keep my SAI installed. God knows we have enough problems with run of the mill CEL's... I don't want to add another one into the equation.

I'm just one school of thought. others will differ, preferring to do to delete. Different strokes, for different folks.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts