VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought universal O2 sensor on amazon. (comes with a connector kit) since it was $20 cheaper.

mechanic told me I should get the oem one with the right connector. it might throw fault codes.
he said he wouldn't mind putting on for me but he wouldn't recommend it.

I read universal ones were the same. that's why I bought it.
should I return it and get the right one?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
It is worth it to pay the extra 20 bucks to get a direct fit.
On the other hand, I have had a universal fit on my own car for about the past two years.
No problems whatsoever.
It just takes extra time, and there could be mistakes, when the splices are made.
20 bucks, or 20 minutes you can choose. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Just look up the parts on Bosch's vehicle parts finder and get the OEM version part number there; get the right parts the first time and be done with it! :) I was able to find the right part locally at AutoZone; the price was very good and it was identical to the original O2 sensor that I removed, the plug, the length, everything exactly the same as the old stock VW part! Amazon has good prices but also check rockauto.com; sometimes their prices are the cheapest you can find! :)

http://www.boschautoparts.com/m/Pages/vehiclepartfinder.aspx

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked all other forums and they all said it's ok.

so I went ahead and changed at the shop. they even soldiered wires.

check engine light for o2 sensor just came up :(

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
Don't give up hope! I would scan the car for codes; write down or save the codes. Then, I would do a hard reset; I had a 02 sensor, that would not clear the code (with vcds; came right back on)... when, I installed a new one. When, I did a hard reset; the code cleared, then didn't come back, check engine light stayed off and the repair was complete.
Please, post up the codes you are getting; it maybe a unrelated code or the same code, that needs the hard reset to fully clear.
Let us know; how it goes, we will go from there... :cool:

PS: needless to say, you can't return your new sensor; worst case scenario, get the correct oem version and move on with your life (chalk it up to a hard lesson learned)! Lets hope; this isn't the case (crosses fingers)! :eek:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Every time I hear "it came in a Bosch box", a piece of my soul dies...

I would suggest to only get parts from the dealer. I've get to deal with a lot of cases where people try to save money on "OE" parts only to have more problems than solutions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts