VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, brand new to the site. I just bought my daughter a 2004 Turbo GLS. All seems great but I've got a yellow warning light lite up that I can't seem to find info on what it is or means.
It's in the lowest left corner - at 7 o'clock from the fuel gauge. It's a Beetle with a bent arrow coming off the back of the roof.
Can someone please tell me what this is?
Thank you - Rocky - Ohio

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
Pretty sure that's the light for the rear spoiler.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
There is no spoiler though. And it doesn't appear there ever was one....but I want one...
Are you sure? I have a GLS also. the spoiler should be at the top edge of your rear hatch. Also, there should be a spoiler deployment switch underneath your knee plate, driver side of the dash. If you feel underneath there you should be able to find it. This also activates the spoiler on command.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,416 Posts
All gas turbo hatchbacks have a spoiler. It may be hard to spot, as its not your typical spoiler that many think of (very obvious, sticking out all the time). It folds nicely at the top of the hatch and is pretty small. Looks like this when deployed:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahh, okay. Got it. When ya said spoiler I was thinking the large wing spoiler that would be nearer the 3rd center brake light.
With that being said, I'll look for the lever or whatever that manually activates the top spoiler. IF, its down flush with the window and the lever is in the up position... How do I go about fixing it?
Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
The earlier new turbo beetle, such as mine, a 2000, automatically deployed the spoiler at 93mph. Later models changed the deployment speed, to I believe 40- can't recall what year the change happened.

The override switch is, as you're sitting in the driver's seat is down by your right leg, on the bottom portion of your dash/knee plate. It's quite a ways down. I relocated mine to the lower dash switch pod, where the hazard/ASR/defrost switch is located. The spoiler adds a nice touch when taking pics & cruising.

From your original post, it sounds like to ur spoiler light is on, but the spoiler isn't deployed; to that, I'm not sure as to why it would be on. I do know that I can manual pop up the spoiler, and many times the light never comes on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right, the light is on when parked and just sitting there running.
I'm glad you guys have me squared away on what the light actually is, but now I've gotta figure out why the light is on all the time....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not tried yet. I bought the car and then had to go out of town for the weekend. If it does not actuate, I'll pry it up and squirt it down with penetrating oil...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts