VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Beetle Convertible GLX, Royal Navy
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, please forgive my ignorance…still new to my 1.8t…

Can someone please tell me what this tank is for? Possibly the clutch, but I’m not sure. When I received the car they had a piece of Gorilla tape over an ill-fitting cap, and I’d like to order the proper one, but I can’t find much info on it. I’d also like to fill it with the proper fluid since it’s practically empty. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
That looks like your power steering resivor. There is a cap that fits on that, I would call the nearest salvage yard and get a cap. That would be cheapest and easiest. What year is your car. From 99-06 should fit maybe more years. In that range golf/beetle and up to 05.5 for a Jetta all those vehicles in that year range share many of the same parts.

However if your tank is nearly empty, I would hope it’s because someone used tape to seal it and it didn’t work well. Otherwise you have a power steering leak somewhere, on a broken/rusted power steering line or the rack itself is leaking into the inner tie rod boots. You can check them by squeezing the boot with your hand, if fluid comes out you’ve got problems.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Here is the correct fluid.

It is pricey, but you’ll only need 1 can. I think autozone has it and possibly other auto parts stores as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome. Thanks for your help, guys. I checked the local auto wreckers and I couldn’t find that cap anywhere (none of them had wrecked 1.8t vehicles). But now that I know what it’s for I can probably find one off another VW? I have a 2006 Beetle Turbo Convertible GLX.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Any vw from those years will have the same cap, even my diesel 1.9 has the same cap. Just tell them you need a power steering resivor cap from a 00-10 vw beetle don’t even worry about what engine is in it.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Somewhere in the later years I think some models have electric steering. If so those won’t have a fluid resivor to steal a cap from.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any vw from those years will have the same cap, even my diesel 1.9 has the same cap. Just tell them you need a power steering resivor cap from a 00-10 vw beetle don’t even worry about what engine is in it.
Thanks. The yard I go to on a semi-regular basis is a "u-pick", and I know they have plenty of VWs and Audis there (the have three rows dedicated to them). I should be able to find it on one of them. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like your power steering resivor. There is a cap that fits on that, I would call the nearest salvage yard and get a cap. That would be cheapest and easiest. What year is your car. From 99-06 should fit maybe more years. In that range golf/beetle and up to 05.5 for a Jetta all those vehicles in that year range share many of the same parts.

However if your tank is nearly empty, I would hope it’s because someone used tape to seal it and it didn’t work well. Otherwise you have a power steering leak somewhere, on a broken/rusted power steering line or the rack itself is leaking into the inner tie rod boots. You can check them by squeezing the boot with your hand, if fluid comes out you’ve got problems.
Thanks. I think it was just a poor tape job because it wasn't as low as I thought (I actually put too much in and had to take some out), Now that I know what it's called I can hit up the local junk yards and pick one up. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
On a car that old it might be a good idea to do a complete fluid replacement or flush. It's easy to do just disconnect the return line coming into the reservoir and put a Poly clear hose on the return line going down to a clear plastic bottle, turn key to the on position without starting car, rotate steering wheel all the way left and the right, keep an eye on the fluid level at the clear bottle and on the reservoir. stop and put more clean fluid in the reservoir and dump the old dirty fluid of the clear bottle. continue that cycle until clear fluid comes out and into the clear bottle and you have done a complete fluid flush. good luck. You should also replace all the fluid in your brakes reservoir.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On a car that old it might be a good idea to do a complete fluid replacement or flush. It's easy to do just disconnect the return line coming into the reservoir and put a Poly clear hose on the return line going down to a clear plastic bottle, turn key to the on position without starting car, rotate steering wheel all the way left and the right, keep an eye on the fluid level at the clear bottle and on the reservoir. stop and put more clean fluid in the reservoir and dump the old dirty fluid of the clear bottle. continue that cycle until clear fluid comes out and into the clear bottle and you have done a complete fluid flush. good luck. You should also replace all the fluid in your brakes reservoir.
Thanks! In the process of doing all the flushes. I (almost) finished the coolant flush. However, there's no fluid running to the lower hose, and I think it's due to a bad water pump. I'm taking the car to be serviced so they can replace the timing belt and WP (neither has been done, and it's at 179k).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts