NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my intake upgrade, Speed by Spectre has made a true believer out of me, this intake not only gave my bug this incredible growl but excellent throttle response, and more noise , lol now when I pull up to the Lil fast and the furious Hondas and eclipses, they kinda think twice before they rev their engines, everything for my intake was around 40 bucks, if I keep on one day I will have my Super Beetle.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice.

Reactions: elosochingonreyes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice Beetle!

You should look foward removing the mid muffle! it give the car a really nice deep low sound but also a agressive sound when you give it some gaz rolling slowly in town, not too loud, but around 4000rpm my beetle sound really loud! I love it!

·
squirreljuice
388 Posts
Yes there is. Its called the diode mod. It works, I have done it myself, but its really not worth it. Yes the car will pull a lot harder, but unless you run a super MBC or something, your boost will go way over acceptable limits and you could seriously damage your car's engine. You will also get uneven boost at partial throttle. it will literally go 11, 0, 11, 0, 11, 0 (in psi) as you accelerate. I am going to take mine off as soon as I get the chance. If you do it ALWAYS run the absolute highest octane fuel you can find. On 91 mine was knocking pretty bad. The problem went away on 93, but thats not an easy octane to find (at least around here). If you want serious performance, look into forged engine internals, bigger turbos, camshafts, a full turbo back 3" exhaust (mine is 4 welds away from being done), intercoolers, bigger injectors, 4 bar regulator, high flow fuel pump, and finally, a tune. You can have a 300-400 hp monster bug for around six grand that will leave almost any car in town in the dust.

As far as cheap horse power gains,

Jack up your car and cut off your exhaust just before the resonator (The triangular muffler in the exhaust tunnel just after the cat). Weld the little pipe left over to the connecting sleeve that connects it to the cat to make one longer pipe that rests on the stock rest (you'll see when you are under the car). Remove the rest of your exhaust. This will leave you with a mean sounding bug. It almost sounds like a turbo diesel truck. Just remember to safety wire your cat down to that cross member that the pipe rests on or after you let off the gas the pipe will buck and hit the floor of the car. Hp gain:10-15

Go to a parts store and purchase a cone filter. I use spectre, but K&N is a lot better. Remove the stock intake box and all the piping to the snow box. Attach the cone directly to the maf and suspend it with safety wire. You will need a small filter for the breather, and you will want to relocate this to the front of the battery because the little filter can fall off and get caught in your shift linkage (personal experience). You can leave it at that or if you were worried about overheating like I was you can purchase the $20 flexible hose and run it under your headlight to the front grill to scoop up some cold air. I also would make a box to hold the filter and the fresh air intake. hp gain: maybe 5 if you're lucky, but it sounds cool and you get a blow off valve type noise.

Remove your passenger side front wheel and take out the fender lining. Mark the approximate location of the intercooler and then swiss cheese the fender lining in that area. This way the intercooler can breath a little better and won't heat soak as easily. I haven't done this one, but the logic behind it is sound enough that I would do it if I didn't already plan on doing a front mount intercooler. Hp gain: possibly one, maybe two if you're super lucky. this intercooler just isn't big enough to really cool down the air.

get a 4 bar FPR. They are only like $40 bucks from Usually Sideways Rally Team and will increase your fuel rate about 12%. It is very likely though that the car will shave off some of the fuel to maintain stock air fuel ratios.

Anything beyond those you are probably going to need a custom tune just so that the car will run right.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts