NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one day my heater just stopped working and a few minutes later my heat light started blinking. I pulled over as soon as possible and saw that the coolant was just below the minimum level. I topped it off, figured it was a small leak and i would deal with it later. Since then, a couple of times my heater has stopped and started working again, and this stopping and starting, as of today, coincided with the low coolant/overheat warning light on my car coming on.

When I arrived home, my heater hadn't been working at all but my car wasn't overheating according to the warning light, and my coolant was pretty close to the max, but there was steam coming from somewhere. After letting the car sit for a while and looking at it, the coolant appears stagnant in the overflow container. I was thinking perhaps it wasn't getting up into the heater block and that's why the heater stopped and maybe wasn't flowing through the system and so certain areas overheated and thus the steam? Does this seem like a clog or a water pump issue or something like that? I've had leaks before and have replaced a few hoses, but nothing like this.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Check the Green Coolant Sensor and the Thermostat. Of course the Thermostats in our cars is sooo difficult to get to that it will take you all day to swap that out. When was the last time you had the timing belt service done (Timing Belt, Waterpump, thermostat, etc)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Eh??? With a ball-end hex key it takes 30mins max inc draining the coolant.:confused:
Perhaps it is only difficult to get to on the 1.8T engine. Most places doing the timing belt service won't even change the thermostat unless you pay them another 200 bucks extra for 3 hours of extra labor to swap out the thermostat. I guess you 2.0 guys are lucky!

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,634 Posts
Perhaps it is only difficult to get to on the 1.8T engine. Most places doing the timing belt service won't even change the thermostat unless you pay them another 200 bucks extra for 3 hours of extra labor to swap out the thermostat. I guess you 2.0 guys are lucky!
Yes, I prefer the 2.0 over the 1.8 when it comes to TB/WP maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts