NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 VW new Beetle GLS has an "Airbag/Seatbelt" warning light showing. I asked a repair shop what to do. They checked the disconnect located under driver seat & said "no wires broken, everything seems OK". My airbags have never deployed so I don't know what else to check. Could I simply unplug the disconnect & install a jumper to disable the light?

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
This is a crucial safety issue; a functional airbag, could save your life! You need to get the car scanned with Volkswagen compatible scanner; you can get them cheap online (search amazon for "VAG 405"). The code can then be looked up and you can see what the code means. The most common failure; is the drivers side belt buckle.

You can look up the codes here:

ross tech wiki:

Ross-Tech Wiki

Good info here:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/16588-airbag-light.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx,billymade. I'm aaware of the need, but am severely limited in resources financial. My shop told me it is the seat belt receiver (common problem). Next question: where do I find one at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
You could probably get a used one at a junk yard; the problem is they just end up wearing out and breaking over time. I have 2002 NB; that I have had since new, I am on my second replacement new belt buckle. These online vendors have the best prices that I know of; unfortunately, these are only available as a genuine Volkswagen part (no one else makes them so far).

Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts 25% Off

VW Parts | Volkswagen Parts

Volkswagen (VW) Parts - Authentic OEM Volkswagen Parts direct from Jim Ellis Volkswagen | Jim Ellis VW Parts

Do a little price shopping and see who has the best shipping rates; I believe all of the above sites are Volkswagen dealers. Call around for your local VW dealer; they might have decent prices as well, you can check the prices of your local dealers by using Volkswagen online parts ordering website: (just put in your zip to find dealers near you; parts prices can vary from dealer to dealer).

http://www.parts.vw.com/vwparts/index.cfm?clearVehicle=true&siteid=9

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
The problem is that even if you replace the part and fix the problem, you will still have the airbag light on until you reset it with an appropriate code reader (not all of them will work). And unless the shop had a code reader that will read the codes, the receiver may not be the problem. And as long as the light is on, the airbags may not deploy in the event of an accident.

There are people out there with VAG-COM. There is a link somewhere with a locator. More often than not, people with it are willing to help others no question. I would try to find someone with a scanner that will read the codes and be able to reset the light so you can get this taken care of properly and safely.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Looks like you have gotten a couple of good answers - SO - Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts