NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NewBeetle.org members...

We are getting very close to finishing up this member map. We really only have one thing left to sort out, and that's how to deal with multiple members that have the same zip code or city/province/country. I think we've figured out <em>how</em> we're going to deal with that, we just haven't gotten the code written just yet. So, we're very close. Hopefully it'll be ready in a week or less.

Here's how this is going to work:

There is a member profile option called "Include me on the member map?" The default answer is "Yes." As such, you <em>will</em> be included on the map unless you specifically go into your Edit Profile page and request to not be by choosing "No."

As I mentioned before, the map is based on latitude/longitude. As such, we are converting the location info we have on our members (city, state/province, country, and zip code) to latitude/longitude. As such, it's imperative that you have all of your location info entered properly (including spelling!) if you wish to appear on the map.

Also, special characters in your profile fields (such as bullets, degree symbols, and other non-alphanumeric characters) can cause your entry to fail (as these are not valid XML characters). If you wish for your map entry to work properly, do not use these special characters in your car or location info on your profile.

Finally, I leave you with another little tease...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Sure you can detect international...

It doesnt really work, I just added code to randomly place international people on the map.

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CrazyJames said:
Sure you can detect international...

It doesnt really work, I just added code to randomly place international people on the map.
Haha. Don't listen to James. It works quite well -- a lot better than I expected it would, actually. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
I'm glad to see that everyone will be able to put their name on the map. Thank you Jeff!

(just try to keep one of them out.....;) )

·
Super Moderator
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
dnyed said:
I'm glad to see that everyone will be able to put their name on the map. Thank you Jeff!

(just try to keep one of them out.....;) )
It's better than that...they don't have to put their name on the map -- they just are on the map. If you've got your location info filled in on your profile (and most everyone does), then it just works. Nothing more to do.

As for keeping people out, this is all integrated with the NB.org member database. If you're a member, you're on the map. If you're not, you're not. Simple as that.

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
Is this thing running yet? I was wondering how many members were near me. I can't even sort the member list by location either :confused:

·
5/23/10 <3
10,922 Posts

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
No matter how many times I re-type the city or zip code just in case there's any typos, I'm still not on the map :(

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I'm not totally understanding. Call me stupid. It seems you are attempting to indicate members via Google Earth type mapping? Is that for the zip code post office address, I suppose, as I don't ever remember entering my address anywhere? I think you should just make it clear that the members actual residence is not going to be identified, as it seems to be in the third capture. There are already so many who don't even want their zipcode included, for what ever reason. Fear, paranoia, I don't know. Like blacking out a license plate ??? Not blacked out when driving down the street, and not available to the public on the web.

M.

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
They were added based on the city and zip code you entered into your profile. There is even a check box if you want to be added to the map or not on your profile.

No admin is even baby sitting this map anymore so it's far from accurate. I suspect between all the management and site changes over the last 6 years the code meshing the website with Google has long since been broken. I've been here a year and my info was never put on the map *shrug*

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it me?

New member here....I've been trying to display the member map (Member Map - NewBeetle.org) for two days, using both IE and Firefox, and the box is BLANK.

It also says on the left side that I'm NOT signed in to the site (even though I am), and when I input my sign-in info, I get the page that says I'm now signed in and it's redirecting me back to the member map page, but when it lands on the page it STILL says I'm not aigned in and the map window is still blank!

What am I doing wrong?

TwirlyGirly (who feels like she's just been dropped into the Mamber Map Twilight Zone....)

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
It's quite possible, that the map has been disabled.

A lot has changed since the days that Jeff Croft was the headmaster. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Ohmygosh! So wonderful to see you, my friend!!! :wave2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts