NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I love my VW!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Does anyone know how to remove that plastic upper door panel on a 2000 Vw new beetle?

I'll really appreciate it if someone can post a tutorial on how to do this. :)

Thanks!

·
Probably MIA
2,799 Posts
It is bonded to the rest of the door panel. Some guys have successfully separated them to change colors without painting.

Sent from my DROID2

·
I love my VW!
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks.

I guess I just need to mask off the rest of the door panel to paint it.

The previos owners painted it black on a white bug. lol.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ok thanks.

I guess I just need to mask off the rest of the door panel to paint it.

The previos owners painted it black on a white bug. lol.
I've got a White one and it came with factory paint the top of the panels are painted black to reduce the glare that the white paint creates. Or so I've been told......

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are three T-25 head screws along the bottom of the inside door panel. Remove them. The face of the inside door handle is removable--just pry it off, probably don't even need a screwdriver to get it off. Underneath, you'll find two #1 phillips head screws. Remove them. Finally, grasp the door panel from the bottom and pull up. It hangs over a little lip against the window. Watch the door lock, make sure the panel clears that. You should have access to all the wiring harnesses that keep the panel attached. door handle cable snaps out trim, then unhooks. u can then place panel on work table [put down a couple of towels to not scratch it]. snap out inside handle. remove door lock grommet. 2007 is electronic and u have to unplug it from grommet to remove grommet. i use basecoat/clearcoat. looks better and much more durable from uv rays and scratches compared to aerosol cans. clean surface with wax & grease remover, especially where top and bottom seperates. this will clean off any dressing that was on it for mask & tape. if theres scratches, watersand out with 600 grit. if they are deep, try 400 grit then go back over with 600 grit. use soapy water. if surface is already smooth like factory, you can use a gray scotchbrite with soapy water as well. good luck....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts