VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
USA 2000 New Beetle 1.8T

Trying to find the part #. It is the upper hose that connects from the radiator to the coolant temp sensor. Could I get a custom cut hose from Autozone or Orileys? I don't know the inner/outer diameter. I've never replaced a hose before so is it as easy as removing the clamps and putting on the new one? Will I need new hose clamps?

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-New_Beetle--1.8T/Engine/Cooling/Hoses/ES252266/
Circled in red.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hose clamps; generally can be reused, unless they are rusted or heavily corroded (you might want to replace them then). The best tool; to get them off, is a special hose clamp cable based plier. A decent pair; is on sale, at Sears, I have had this pair for year and they work well. Without these pliers; it can be very hard or sometimes, impossible to get them off, especially in tight confined areas. I cannot recommend these enough; the amount of frustration, that these type of clamps, can bring, to a simple hose replacement... can be soul destroying. Ask me; how I know! :p

Craftsman Craftsman Cable-operated Hose Clamp Pliers - Sears

Description Item # 00947390000P Model # 28650-998
ON SALE: Regular price $41.99 Your savings - $17.02: $24.97

Sears.com

As far as the hose; there should be a part number, imprinted on the part itself.

Gates and Rein; are starting to make, more affordable aftermarket cooling hoses, so they could be a option at your local auto parts stores. I would probably; choose Gates over Rein, I did buy a Rein hose and installed it the other day, it was made in Turkey but seemed, like a decent quality hose.

Volkswagen; has a tendency to sell hose "assemblies", include more than one hose and the plastic interconnection section (which is plastic and commonly breaks).

Based upon the exploded view; I would guess, that it is this one:

[ 8 ] COOLING SYSTEM / COOLING / RADIATOR & COMPONENTS / Upper hose
Volkswagen Part Number: 1C0122101T

upper hose 1.8 LITER
MSRP $125.83

Volkswagen National eStore

You might check and see; if you can get a Gates or Rein version:

ShowMeTheParts - Automotive Aftermarket Electronic Catalog

NaviGates

The plastic interconnect; is failure prone and forces you, to buy the whole hose. Aftermarket VW tuning companies; have made aluminum metal versions of these and while not cheap, maybe something to considor. Typically, when I work on the cooling system of a older VW; the plastic parts, tend to break and need replaced. It seems; many plastic cooling parts, you practically, just touch and they break! :soapbox: It is possible; even if, you are very careful, the "Y" pipe, may break. It is very fragile and from VW, costs a little more than the metal version. There are cheaper aftermarket plastic versions (under $10) but we have had, problems with aftermarket plastic cooling parts around here but they may be ok, you could just have to try it out. If you did buy the metal version; that would be the last time, you would ever have to worry about it.

VW Radiator Coolant Distribution Tee (Beetle) - Genuine VW Audi 1C0121438A
Part #: VAG-1C0121438A

https://www.google.com/search?q=1C0...rome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

Here are the aftermarket metal versions: ($50 and $40) billet aluminum or stainless steel:

Y Pipe for VR6 Rad Hose - Gruven Parts

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/VW-Mk3-VR6-Stainless-Steel-Y-Adaptor_p_338.html

So far; from looking online, I am not seeing a aftermarket version of that hose but I would find the part number on the hose itself, keep looking (try Gates). Sometimes, you don't have a option but to buy it directly from VW.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
hose

If you just want to buy the small hose in the red circle Rockauto.com sells that individual piece. FYI, BTW That picture is showing the electric fans 3ed speed sensor which puts both electric fans in high speed. Sorry I don't have the part number available but I know I bought it a while back but haven't installed it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is the one he is referring to

More Information for DAYCO 70797

Autozone sells that hose. Its not too expensive so it might be worth trying.

I didn't even know those hose clamp pliers existed. The last time I changed the air filter it took me literally 15 mins to get the clamp back on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you just want to buy the small hose in the red circle Rockauto.com sells that individual piece. FYI, BTW That picture is showing the electric fans 3ed speed sensor which puts both electric fans in high speed. Sorry I don't have the part number available but I know I bought it a while back but haven't installed it.
He said he hasn't installed it yet. On the rockauto page it says cut to fit. It looks like it has the same angle. If I have time this weekend I'll swing buy autozone and pick it up. The hose on my car is ok but there is a very minor drip on the end of the hose which is why i want to replace it.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, most of the time; what we are finding, is the PLASTIC sections will fail more often than anything (the plastic parts crack, crumble or break off). So, it maybe; the intermediatelY" connector or one of the "quick" connects, that is cracked. A coolant system pressure tester; would really help, pinpoint the leak. Check Harbor Freight; they have test kit, that I use with excellent results: (search online; for a extra 20% off coupon)

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

Pittsburgh Automotive - Item#69258

Radiator Pressure Tester Kit

The kit; comes with the correct adapter for our New Beetle. These cars; continually, develop leaks, because of all the plastic parts used in them. The kit is a great investment; you WILL be using it, over, over again to find hard to find leaks in the cooling system. Buying the kit; is definitely cheaper than having a shop repair your cooling system. Once, you do the repairs; you can then, pressurize the system and confirm, that the everything is leak free.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
hose

one reason hoses start leaking is from old/age or if it was overheated at some time. This is the one I bought; Radiator top hose continental brand part# at rock auto is 66513. On the description section it says radiator to tee connection, which sounds about right it go's from the upper radiator to the plastic tee where the high speed sensor is. It was only $4 bucks still haven't install it though but it measures like per like.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
can't say yes

So, is it the Continental #66513 hose, the correctly molded shape and the correct size or "cut to fit"?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Haven't installed it yet but it's specific to the 1.8t, my engine. Measured it up next to the one already there and it looks same size and shape. why couldn't VW keep it simple and use one hose instead of 3-4 small connections. uurrgg!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, they seem to be part of the "whole assembly" trend; I have seen over the years. I was looking at getting the small vacuum hoses on top of the valve cover and the fuel hoses, too. You guessed it; "whole assembly" and man, are they expensive! Ouch! :banghead:

Lately, I purchased the oil cooler hoses; from the CRP brand, made in Turkey and the quality seemed good. Hopefully, we will see; more of these quality aftermarket hoses being reproduced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts