NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
urban exploration: The act of going places you're not supposed to go. "Urban exploration" acts as an umbrella phrase for other terms like infiltration, draining, buildering and other actions which take place in an urban setting. Often the act of urban exploration is illegal, as trespassing is usually necessary. However, the majority of urban explorers do not intend to vandalize property. One of the cardinal rules of urban exploration is "Take only photographs, leave only footprints".
Also known as "urban adventure" and "ue".
Is anybody else here interested in urban exploration? I've never done much of it personally but I love it vicariously through the computer.
Here are some interesting links:
Dark Passage
Chernobyl Motorcycle Tour
Abandoned Missle Silo
and the defacto father of them all
Infiltration

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
marvins_dad said:
I've been following it as well.

Did this type of stuff when I was younger..before there was a term for it.

All my links are on my work machine.

:cool:
Seems like just a fancy term for trespassing lol
Seems interesting but I'll stick to my ghosts! :)

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Oh, man, I love this stuff. The only extent to which I've done "urban exploration" is, when I pass by something strange or abandoned that piques my interest, I stop and investigate. There's an abandoned missle silo control facility (a relic of the Cuban missile crisis) located near my house, and I've been planning on checking the place out when the weather gets cooler.

Check out the aerial photo here

I found a photoset of an urban exploration of the site.

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Nice Silo!

Yeah - I checked and only have two that I bookmarked:
Infiltration - which Techo linked already. These guys have regional sections in their forums so you can hook up with others in your area.

UER - Urban Exploration Resource! - This site is the bomb for those that wish to be Cyber Urban Explorers...there is a great database of Explorations from all over the world. Check out some of the amusment parks in Japan - that guy is an excellent photographer!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marvins_dad said:
Nice Silo!

Yeah - I checked and only have two that I bookmarked:
Infiltration - which Techo linked already. These guys have regional sections in their forums so you can hook up with others in your area.

UER - Urban Exploration Resource! - This site is the bomb for those that wish to be Cyber Urban Explorers...there is a great database of Explorations from all over the world. Check out some of the amusment parks in Japan - that guy is an excellent photographer!
I haven't seen the UER one before. Thanks! I used to have a link to a site all about exploring catacombs in different places including the extensive ones under Paris. I seem to have lost it unfortunately. Still looking.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
There's a poopload of decomissioned nike missile bases not far from where i live. Old military installations, abandoned shoreline forts, etc. I always wanted to go inside one, but the best i ever got was walking around outside and in some of the open air sections. Obviously there's no light in any of the bunkers and you could seriously get hurt. I used to always hear stories of scavengers sneaking in there to rip off all the old copper wiring and anything else that wasn't removed when they shut these sites down. Most of this stuff is still relatively easy to get inside if you walk around enough. There's ways in that can easily be found. Sandy Hook, NJ is the place i'm talking about. There's an active Coast Guard base there now as well as state troopers, state park security, and local law enforcement, so if anyone goes there you'd have to be careful. There's beaches there, but being so close to Manhattan it's not the cleanest bit of ocean with a mixture of the NY harbor, a river, and the Atlantic, but it is what it is and there's plenty to see/do there. Fishing isn't too bad there from what i hear.

Do i smell a Sandy Hook GTG??? Doesn't sound like a bad idea.
PM me if this might be something to look into. We can do our own "urban exploration" in a gaggle of Beetles.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts