NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Sorry I didnt really had the time to look it up before posting!

My car just died on the side of the highway!

story!

Yesterday!! Driving back from work, it is about 30 celsius outside! drove for about 15 minutes in traffic and car stuttered and died, couldnt start it up again just turning! the only code was P0134 no activity front o2 sensor! I checked spark, fuel, maf, everything looks in order! I waited 30 minutes car started again but died 15 minutes after again!

This morning changed the o2 sensor! Drove car about 20 miles, car died again on the side of highway! but this time no codes!

Any idea?

thanks guys!! help is really apreciates

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I believe that some may comment that the crankshaft position sensors in these cars are problematic and usually cause strange stalling without codes.

I do not have a 2.0l and I have not had this issue, but search here and many have had crank sensor problems. It is located on the front of the motor near the oil filter. Might be easiest to remove the oil filter to replace??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the crank position sensor and speed sensor the same? By the thread you gave me it looks like the same!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
change the crankshaft position sensor and still acting out!! any other idea?

now i get a check engine light but no code, battery light, abs light!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Is the crank position sensor and speed sensor the same?
VW calls it the "engine speed sensor". Other manufacturers use the term "crankshaft position sensor" for the same thing. It is different from the "vehicle speed sensor" which is on the transmission.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
change the crankshaft position sensor and still acting out!! any other idea?

now i get a check engine light but no code, battery light, abs light!
Likely you are getting a CEL, Battery and ABS light due to the engine dieing rather than the CEL for the ECU picking up a problem?

Likely you will need to get a OBD scan tool to monitor events in real time. I believe there is a an idle air control valve that may need to be cleaned?? Also have you replaced your fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure and volume?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The 2.0 does not use an idle air control valve. The idle is controlled by a stepper motor on the throttle valve that is also used for the cruise control.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The 2.0 does not use an idle air control valve. The idle is controlled by a stepper motor on the throttle valve that is also used for the cruise control.
Thanks for clairifing this.

So do any these stepper motors have problems hanging up?

I have not heard much about these types of issues and have not been into the throttle bodies as they seem to be pretty reliable.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
The main issue with the idle controllers is that they need to be re-calibrated using the "key on for 30 seconds" technique if the battery voltage has been low for a period of hours. It is obvious when this is needed because the cruise control won't work.

With the new information about the battery light being on, I think Ven's issue may be alternator/battery/fuse panel/ground related. Check the battery voltage at the battery terminals both with the engine off and on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
here is an update for everyone!!

After giving up when I couldnt find the problem, (fuel pressure good, spark good, maf good, crank position sensor good, battery, starter, alternator good)

i decided to send it to my mechanic, specialize on european cars off course!

430$ later (pretty good price i find, i was expecting more than 500$) the problem was....

shorted wire at the ignition coil plug! he change the wire, the ignition coil and now i have put more than 200 miles in 2 days and no problem what so ever, even runs better than before :)

thanks for everybody's help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts