NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help please.

First sunny day in ages so thought I'd pop the roof down. Went almost all the way but then stopped. Now the switch doesn't do anything... up or down.

I've turned the car off and on. Locked it, left it 10 minutes. Followed the putting all the windows down and up etc etc but still nothing from the switch. There is no sound from the motor and I can't hear any relay clicking.

Been through the manual and it's useless! It doesn't seem to say which fuse is for the roof or which relay (it doesn't seemt to mention relays at all.

I've wizzed through all the fuses in the panel on the side of the dash but none seem blown.

I also can't seemt to operate it manually... Again the user manual is useless but ive followed the dircetions, slid the panels either side back to expose the red cords and tried to pull these. One lifted the level but took a lot of force the other won't budge, to the point if i pull it any harder I'm certain the red cord will snap.

Any help welcome. Either where the fuse/relay are. Any other possible causes. Why i can't pull the other red cord and finally once I've pulled the red cords to manually raise the roof how do I switch it back to electric mode once/if I get that working again.

thanks Lou

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello,

From what you describe it sounds like you have a stuck F-171 micro-switch.
Watch this youtube video, especially the last two minutes as if this is the problem it shows how to get the top back up.

New Beetle Convertible Basic Top Operation - YouTube

If this does not work and you still need to raise the top manually then I don't think you need to pull the red cords to release the locks. Since the top did not go all the way down I assume it did not cycle the locks, I could be wrong here?

You will also need to open the hydraulic valve in the trunk located behind the round plastic cover to relieve the pressure to allow you to raise the top. If you have the manual the instructions are in section 3.1 starting on page 39.

Hope this helps.

K

·
Registered
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Beetle convertible, Turbo, Manual trans

Need advice. Trying to sort out unreliable top operation on my wife's Beetle.
With top down, most of the time it will not come back up with button.

Have done reset procedure multiple times.
Have scanned for trouble codes...none found.

With top down and my wife holding "up" button, I can sometimes shake top from behind
and it will start working.

With that done, we hold button every time until message on instrument panel confirms
that top operation is complete.

I suspect an unreliable top position switch, but cannot find any reference as to part
number or location of switch for this model.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used a cheap scanner from Harbor Freight. It has been useful on other vehicle troubleshoots. Would connect to the BEETLE ok, but no codes displayed.

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Ok, so thats the problem; you need a vw specific scan tool, to be able to read trouble codes, from the comfort conte module, which controls the convertible top.

You need something like; vcds, obdeleven or other vag scan tool, to read, trouble codes for the top related problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts