NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Beetle in the 2000-2003 range. The car will be for my daughter and I am just looking for advice as far as what model.

Is it worth it to hold out for a turbo model or is it more trouble than it is worth.

What sort of things should I look for when checking out a used beetle ?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, so, I hope you'll share a batch of yours when you get it.

As far as recommendations I suggest a five speed with any engine you find. They majority tell you to check out service info and make sure the timing belts have been done.

·
Bug Lover
38 Posts
If your daughter can drive a stick, definitely the way to go with any size motor. I absolutely adored by 1.8t, but i've also driven a 2.0 and really felt no difference when i was just driving around town. Now, on the highway I blew cars off the road. Just shop, shop, shop until you find the one that speaks to you. They are very personable cars :)

Good Luck!
vicki

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I was looking, I actually had a car mechanic tell me NOT to get the turbo as it was basically a pricier option in all aspects for something not necessary- more for gas, more cost for labor, more cost for parts. Unless you have a specific reason to get the turbo, I'd definitely say go for the regular 2.0! If you haven't test-driven yet, you'll probably find it quite adequate- it's zippy and quick enough!

Also, definitely check the carfax and see if the timing belt and water pump have been replaced (as well as if it's had a lot of other issues or not, of course!). Even if it's not listed, you can call up some of the service centers and ask them if they've replaced them or not!

Finally, when you find a car you think you want to get, ABSOLUTELY get a pre-purchase inspection at your local VW dealer. They'll run through EVERYTHING and tell you exactly what's going on with the car, and if there're any big red flags to watch out for! 100% worth the approx. $100-200 fee, especially if you end up going with the car!

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Find an independent honest VW mechanic to look it over pre-purchase. You will need a mechanic anyway if you buy a VW unless you can do the work yourself.
Avoid dealerships for service.
Manual transmission is best. Autos are a ticking time bomb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts