NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my DFW guys is having an odd issue and I'm not sure how to deal with it other than as you Admin types to check what he has to say and see if there is something that can be done to help him out...

Antoine,

I saw from the link you posted that my username isn't being used on the new forums, but when I try registering it, I still get a message telling me that it's already in use. When I go to the old forums, monogodo appears as being logged in, as it should, based on my settings. When I attempt to access the User CP to check my settings, and then select Edit Profile or Edit Options, I get a message telling me that I don't have permission to do so.

About the only solution I can think of would be to have the admins delete monogodo from the old database completely. Or possibly change my username on the old one, so that it no longer appears as monogodo, possibly by simply adding a number after the name. My guess is that somehow, the new one is accessing the existance of the old one, which makes no sense.

Thanks,

Dan.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Sounds to me like he is switching back and forth. He probably registered on the new site, was still logged into the old, and tried to post, and it told him to log in, so he tried to re-register, which it won't let him, as he already registered.

The two databases are completely different. There is no need to delete him from the old in order to get him into the new.

Tell him to sign out of the old system, go to the new, sign in to the new, and not to go back into the old until he really needs to.

Switching between the new and the old system will force him to keep signing in and our of each.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
pdoel said:
Sounds to me like he is switching back and forth. He probably registered on the new site, was still logged into the old, and tried to post, and it told him to log in, so he tried to re-register, which it won't let him, as he already registered.

The two databases are completely different. There is no need to delete him from the old in order to get him into the new.

Tell him to sign out of the old system, go to the new, sign in to the new, and not to go back into the old until he really needs to.

Switching between the new and the old system will force him to keep signing in and our of each.
There is no user "monogodo" registered on the NEW forums. He needs to go to http://newbeetle.org/forums/register.php and register on that page. Trying to go through the registration process for the old forums won't help him out.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
quote: Originally posted by marvins_dad

http://newbeetle.org/forums/register.php

Make sure you are registering at that link - they thought you might be looking at the old org registration instead of the new.

I've been using that link, but did so again just now -- still get same "that username is in use" message.

quote: Also - you might try deleting you Newbeetle.org cookie - It might be thinking that you are still logged in or something.

Let me know what happens.

Before I initially PMd you about this issue, I logged out of the old forums. It no longer thinks I'm logged in. I even visited it again just now, and it shows me as logged out.
Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
No, I have no ideas. That username is definitely not in user. There is no one registered on the NEW forums under the name monogodo. There is, hoever, someone on the OLD forums with that name.

He could try registering with a different name and then we could change his name to monogodo once he's registered. I don't think this will help, really -- it still sounds to me like he's trying to register on the old forums.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took your suggestion and attempted to sign him up and got the same message he got.

So I tried a couple different iterations and finally got him signed up with this account....

monog-fix

Can you change the user name to: monogodo

Also - I notices that a few forums were locked (because I've never logged in as a regular user) is Site News supposed to be locked? Then why has beej posted in that forum?

Anyhoo - let me know when you get his member name changed and I will try it out to make sure I can log on - then will hand it off to him.

Thanks for all this work.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
I've changed the username. Still can't figure out what the hell caused this. There was no monogodo in there before (there is now). Bizarre.

Site news is reply-only for regular members. They can't start threads, but they can reply to ones I start. I'll check and make sure the permissions are actually set up this way, but that's the idea.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
I found it!

I know what it was. In the place where you set names that people can't sign up as (such as administrator and moderator) I had stuck in a few others.

I guess I'll remove 'god' from the list.

(Couldn't help but think how retarded that looked w/ Russ's title being 'god' over at vixens. :p)

fyi:
vBulletin options->User Registration options

1 - 15 of 15 Posts