NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there's a thread out there about this, but I haven't found it yet. I checked my oil today cause I hadn't done it in awhile and it was down to the bottom of 'Can add oil' according to the manual. So I put in half a quart and now it's to 'Must not add oil'. I'm taking it in next week to get the weather stripping replaced, but what I want to know is -- Why is she using oil?????? At 16K? She's got 900 miles until the 5k oil change. I'm doing 5k oil changes right now since we've had extremely cold weather here(right now it's 65 though). I am definitely going to have them check this out next week. I want to know your opinions, diesel gurus! Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You might have a small leak someplace or the dealer didn't quite fill it the last time you had the oil replaced. I check mine after they give it back just to make sure they put oil in it, had a buddy of mine get a honda back after an oil change only to have it seize up after a few miles due to the dealer not putting in the oil back in after they drained it. And it is not 5k for the oil change but 10K, your motor uses a new type of oil and there are not many places you can get it. Make sure the dealer is using the correct type of oil as this could be a cause of oil depletion. There is another thread here that explains the type of oil you bug needs.
:)

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks purplehaze. I'm getting the oil changed every 5k b/c of extreme cold we've had here in the past 2 months and b/c it makes me feel better! :D Also I don't put many miles on her so I'll probably start doing the oil change every 8k, so the old oil doesn't sit in there too long, otherwise I would have an oil change every 10 months and that seems too long for me. At least she's still under warranty if it is something big. I've had the passenger seat and base replaced under warranty($500)and the weather stripping this coming week. I trust my dealer, but I think I'll take your advice and check just to make sure.

cori

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I made an appt with the dealer today to get the weather stripping replaced and asked about the oil. He said that the last 1000 miles or so, the car starts to burn a little oil. Is this true? I thought cars weren't supposed to be using/burning ANY oil until past 100k. Anyway, this was the same guy I talked to as related in the thread "Dealership Experience" so it's hard to believe him 100%. There's another service advisor I usually talk to but he was busy. I think I'll check out the TDI club for help about this too. I wouldn't be so worried except I've spent a lot of $$$ on Daisy and I really have some sort of 'attachment' to her so I want to get more opinions. :confused: Thanks for any help ya'll can offer.

Cori

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I'd say the guy doesn't know what he's talking about. But who knows. If this is the first time you checked it then you don't know if it's lower than it was previously...so it's hard to tell.

I'm going to back up purple on the OCI though...you might actually be experiencing INCREASED wear with a 5K OCI compared to a 10K. I'm not sure of the details on it, you will have to consult the search on TDIclub, but I did read the logic behind that. I'd recommend feeling better by saving the 50 bucks or so every 5K. If you want to push it to 8K then fine...but there are plenty of people using quality oil going longer than 10K with no problems. And again...make for certain they are using the right oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts