NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts about this same issue, but have not seen any real answers. On my 1999 Beetle 2.0, I have a hissing sound coming from the full length of the vacuum hose going to the bottom of what I understand to be the PCV heating element which is located on the air intake tube just before the TB. My assumption is that there is an internal leak in that unit allowing it to draw a steady flow of vacuum through it rather than pulling a vacuum against it. Does that make sense? What is the purpose of that vacuum line if that is only a heating element? It almost has to function as a valve of some sort. The hose is good, and when pinched, the hissing will cease.:confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the same problem, Are you having any drivability problems. Mine only will stall out every once in awhile and I wondered if this was the problem, I hope someone has a resolution. Thanks.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
The throttle body has gasket between it and the intake manifold; are you sure it is not leaking from the gasket? Pinching the hose just closes of the vacuum line, which is not a good indicator that, that is where the problem is.

The heating element heats the crankcase air as it is passed back into the throttle body when engine is cold. The heating element casing is plastic and it could be cracked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts