is the app runing in win xp mode
are the drivers installed
have you selected the correct com port
have you got the right version of VAGCOM

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ugh. I know very little about computers, but can follow directions. Not sure how to figure if app (is that the same as program?) is in win XP mode. I'll look into that. I've downloaded the drivers from Ross Tech, but in following their directions, a window pops up that the item is not present in the unzipped file. Correct port? Ross Tech says to keep the USB button clicked. Default seems to be port 3. is that the 15 pin? My USB ports are 4,5, and 6. is their a USB to 15 pin connector? Correct version of VAG COM? I've installed the program that came with the device.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
So you bought this off of ebay I assume? The problem is the cheap cables really are a crapshoot as to if they work. You also won't get the tech support from Ross Tech if there are problems. Hope you get it working but don't be too surprised if it doesn't.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
So you bought this off of ebay I assume? The problem is the cheap cables really are a crapshoot as to if they work. You also won't get the tech support from Ross Tech if there are problems. Hope you get it working but don't be too surprised if it doesn't.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
The only reason they don't work is people buy them blindly without knowing HOW TO WORK A PC.

If you have no clue how to get into device manager and see which port you're trying to connect through then give up now.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The only reason they don't work is people buy them blindly without knowing HOW TO WORK A PC.

If you have no clue how to get into device manager and see which port you're trying to connect thought then give up now.
Ouch...not nice man. :confused: Did I accidentally sign on to Vortex instead of the org? :thumbsdn:

Swimbug,
your info says you are in Jax. Al (scarabY2K here) and Cup are there along with Chuck (Chuckie here) and Manfred and a bunch of others on here. Maybe you can get together with one of them to figure it out? If they can't, maybe they know somebody that can? If I were up there I would come try my best to help you get it up and communicating. Unfortunately, I'm way down here in Tampa. Are you going to be at ToD in NC in May? I'll be there with my laptop, and a whole bunch of other helpful nb peeps will be there too.

Hope it works out for you...if not, hope it didn't cost too much.

:bestwish:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Ugh. I know very little about computers, but can follow directions. Not sure how to figure if app (is that the same as program?) is in win XP mode. I'll look into that. I've downloaded the drivers from Ross Tech, but in following their directions, a window pops up that the item is not present in the unzipped file. Correct port? Ross Tech says to keep the USB button clicked. Default seems to be port 3. is that the 15 pin? My USB ports are 4,5, and 6. is their a USB to 15 pin connector? Correct version of VAG COM? I've installed the program that came with the device.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
With the Vcds lite you can't run it in USB mode but need to run it in serial compatible mode and assign a com port that will work with the program. It's a bit tricky since Vcds lite will only work in a couple of Comm ports and you have to match it to your cable in order for it to work.
You could also search Google for a Maxscan Vag 405 it should be around 35-40 bucks. It doesnt do as much as the true Vag com but it does read and display Vag codes as well as ObdII codes and can clear them as well. It is a great basic tool and best of all its plug and play . No computer necessary.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Ouch...not nice man. :confused: Did I accidentally sign on to Vortex instead of the org? :thumbsdn:

Swimbug,
your info says you are in Jax. Al (scarabY2K here) and Cup are there along with Chuck (Chuckie here) and Manfred and a bunch of others on here. Maybe you can get together with one of them to figure it out? If they can't, maybe they know somebody that can? If I were up there I would come try my best to help you get it up and communicating. Unfortunately, I'm way down here in Tampa. Are you going to be at ToD in NC in May? I'll be there with my laptop, and a whole bunch of other helpful nb peeps will be there too.

Hope it works out for you...if not, hope it didn't cost too much.

:bestwish:
Not nice maybe, but truthful.

It says with all these kits that you plug in the cable into your pc, then into device manager and see which comport it's plugged into, tick box in program to say the same port, test it to see if working, job done.

As I say if you're not familiar with where to find device manager and such on a pc then you really don't want to be plugging in programs that allow you to change your cars characteristics, do you?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The cheap KKL type interfaces are really serial port interfaces with a built in USB adapter. From the Ross-Tech website:

Many generic USB<->Serial converters are unable to handle the baud rate and timing requirements that are demanded by some control modules using the VAG protocols.
Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 1

To say that the reason the person can't get it to work is because they don't understand computers isn't always going to be the case. Bill Gates may not be able to get one to work on his Bugatti because of latency issues created by a generic USB adapter. Then there is the lack of quality control on those KKL interfaces, they are just cheaply made.

For many people, they work fine and fit their personal needs, but then there are a lot of people who have had nothing but problems trying to use them. It seems to be a bit of a running joke at TDI Club. :rolleyes:

Minor foot note as well... "VAG COM" is no longer supported. I would suggest trying VCDS-Lite which can be freely downloaded here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts