NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Vag-Com pro's -can you "school me" in what a Vag-Com interface will do for me since I have a good laptop...

What's the cheapest/most effecient way to get good cables/software? (are there any particular Ebay cables better than others?) (USB?)

What free or shareware software is out there - will it do what I need it to?

I am primarily interested in being able to check codes for the engine light and reset codes...will an economical setup do this for me?

Lay it all out in laymen terms if you can.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Okay, I don't consider myself a pro, but I paid the full price from Ross Tech and I'm glad I did.

For one thing, the cable had a problem about a year after buying it. I paid to ship it to them - they paid to ship it back (they'll ship it back whatever "speed" you ship it to them... so if you send it Next Day - they'll send it back Next Day at their expense). I sent it regular USPS and had it back within a week.

Ross Tech will give you free tech support for life. And by tech support, I mean, if you can't figure out what's wrong with the car, they'll help you diagnose. Admittedly, you could get some of that from here on the Org and Vortex - but personally, I trust the experts at Ross Tech a bit more. :)

Hopefully some folks who went the budget route and share their experiences from that end - but considering what it costs for a single trip to the dealership, $200-$250 really is cheap for such a powerful diagnostic tool.....

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I spent the big money and bought the Hex-Usb. I wanted the ability to be able to plug into multiple computers with out having to reregister everytime I switched computers. I have multiple laptops and have a habit of updating my computers rater frequently. So it is far more cost effective for me to have the Vag-Com cable that doesn't need to be registered.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
Fowvay -

did the HEX-USB come with that program? or is it an additional cost?

i think thats the way that I shall go, tho, since my only computer is a desktop and i'd be using my friend's laptop to diagnose.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
Fowvay -

did the HEX-USB come with that program? or is it an additional cost?

i think thats the way that I shall go, tho, since my only computer is a desktop and i'd be using my friend's laptop to diagnose.
You download the program from www.ross-tech.com but unlike the regular cheap cable you don't have to pay to register it, to get full access. The cable has a chip in it that automatically gives it clearance to use the program.

So you could theoretically have 1,000,000 laptops and use the same cable on them. Unlike the reg cable which would require you to pay $99 each time you wanted to register it. :D

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
thanks Fowvay.

next question-

those 40 dollar "VAG-COM" cables on eBay claim that they work with the FREE version of the software from the Ross-Tech website. bearing in mind what you just said, i seriously doubt that a 40 dollar cable would have the chip needed to fully unlock the program.

heard anything about those?

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
manoverboard987 said:
thanks Fowvay.

next question-

those 40 dollar "VAG-COM" cables on eBay claim that they work with the FREE version of the software from the Ross-Tech website. bearing in mind what you just said, i seriously doubt that a 40 dollar cable would have the chip needed to fully unlock the program.

heard anything about those?
Oh they work... if all you want to do is reset your CEL and see the most basic of codes. You get extremly limited access with out registering the software.

The nice thing with the hex-usb is that you never have to register the softwear. :D

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
Fowvay said:
Oh they work... if all you want to do is reset your CEL and see the most basic of codes. You get extremly limited access with out registering the software.

The nice thing with the hex-usb is that you never have to register the softwear. :D
so it'll work just as well if i were to register the software for 100 dollars? (for a total of 140 as opposed to the 350 for the HEX-USB?)

i know that i would have to register it again if i were to switch computers, but im thinkin i could save 200 dollars, get a huge USB extension cord (or a few smaller ones), and run it/them from my computer in the living room out the window to the carport...

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
If you buy a cheaper ISO OBDII adapter from eBay, you can only use the older version of VAG-COM (311.2, I believe). Newer versions do not support the cheaper ISO type.

The newer VAG-COM has new features but many of these don't matter for our cars running KWP-1281. Granted, you get what you pay for -- it's simply a matter of what you want to do.

Regardless, it's best to register the software no matter which interface you get.

For me, I still run an older ISO type adapter. I'm waiting for the bluetooth OBDII adapter to get cheaper, just because I'm tired of the wires.

·
Super Moderator
5,308 Posts
What's the difference between the

VAG-COM License with HEX-USB+CAN Interface $349.00 and
VAG-COM License with KEY-USB Interface $249.00?

Both say...

Acts as a "dongle" -- Activation for the full-function version of VAG-COM is built in! Use VAG-COM on any suitable PC, no activation codes required.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
:)

What is CAN and why is it important?

CAN stands for Controller Area Network. CAN is a new means of communicating with the car for diagnostics used by the latest generations of VW, Audi, SEAT, and Skoda vehicles. Unlike the older ISO9141 system which used a single K-line for diagnostic communications, the new CAN-Bus system uses a twisted pair of wires with differential signaling. CAN is considerably faster than ISO-9141 (500 kpbs vs. 10.4 kbps). Both new hardware and new software are required in order to communicate with cars using CAN for diagnostics.

What Cars Use CAN for Diagnostics?

All Golf-5 platform cars (A5 platform) including:

2003+ VW Touran (1T chassis)

2004+ VW Golf (1K chassis)

2004+ VW Caddy (2K chassis)

2004+ Audi A3 (8P chassis)

2004+ Seat Altea (5P chassis)

2004+ Skoda Octavia (1Z chassis)

2005+ Seat Toledo (5P chassis)

2005+ Golf Plus (5M chassis)

2005+ Seat Leon (1P chassis)

2005.5+ Jetta (1K chassis)

2006+ Eos (1F chassis)

2003+ Audi A8 and A8L (D3 platform, 4E chassis)

2005+ Audi A6 (C6 platform, 4F chassis)

2005+ Audi A4 ("B7" platform) (some control modules)
Requires VAG-COM version 500.0 or newer!

2005.5+ VW Passat (B6 Platform, 3C chassis)

Does VAG-COM work with cars that require direct CAN access for diagnostics?

Yes! We have integrated CAN compatibility since the Release 404.0 version of VAG-COM, but as CAN uses different hardware, new interfaces are required in order to communicate with a CAN-based car. These are now available as well. The new HEX-COM+CAN and HEX-USB+CAN interfaces are fully compatible with the new latest cars which require a direct CAN connection.

Do the CAN-Bus Interfaces also work with older vehicles that use the k-line?

Yes! The HEX-COM+CAN and HEX-USB+CAN are fully backwards compatible with older vehicles that use either single or dual K-lines as well, so they work with all VW/Audi/SEAT/Skoda from 1996-2005.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
i got a cable off of ebay for 50 bucks... and the software i got free... if u know what i mean!!!!!! all u need is a cable and ill get u the software scence u live close 2 me... buts its the older stuff its not like brand knew or whatever

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
v-dubed said:
i got a cable off of ebay for 50 bucks... and the software i got free... if u know what i mean!!!!!! all u need is a cable and ill get u the software scence u live close 2 me... buts its the older stuff its not like brand knew or whatever
Anyone can get the software for free. It's the unlocking part that is the problem. Even if you copy the unlocked software from your computer to another one it still needs to activated again to be fully useable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts