VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a cheaper version of a USB extension cord will work with my vag-com....I was looking on ebay for a 25ft one......a lot cheaper then ross-tech site....just wondering if anyone ever tried one?.....sorry if this is wrong section to post...please feel free to move.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I haven't used any but the main issue would seem to me, is signal degradation. Cables listed online; that sound good, are a "Active Repeater" cable with premium shielding, gold plated connectors & Built-in amplification chipset. There are a number of these on amazon.com; I guess, you would have to buy and try one, to know for sure and see how well it works.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D4DQW2AFGDFQPBW0GQ2

Here is what the "official" ross tech cable; is describes as @ $35:

$35.00

MPN: USBEC

By Ross-Tech

This VAG-COM USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable is used to extend the reach of a Ross-Tech USB Interface from the computer to the vehicle. It connects between the USB port on the computer to the USB plug on the interface. The length of this cable is 16 feet or 5 meters.

It is constructed of high quality signal cable and active repeater electronics which boost the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances.

Up to two (2) of these cables can be plugged together to extend the reach of a Ross-Tech interface to a maximum of 38 feet (12m). Ross-Tech has tested and certified this length of extension. Lengths beyond 38 feet on the USB cables are neither recommended nor supported.

Please Note: these are the only USB extension cables Ross-Tech will support at this time. They have tested them extensively and found them to perform to their standards.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't used any but the main issue would seem to me, is signal degradation. Cables listed online; that sound good, have a "Active Repeater" cable with premium shielding, gold plated connectors & Built-in amplification chipset. There are a number of these on amazon.com; I guess, you would have to buy and try one, to know for sure and see how well it works.

Amazon.com: BlueRigger USB 2.0 Type A Male to A Female Active Extension / Repeater Cable - 32 Feet (10M): Computers & Accessories

Here is what the "official" ross tech cable; is describes as @ $35:

$35.00

MPN: USBEC

By Ross-Tech

This VAG-COM USB 2.0 Active Extension Cable is used to extend the reach of a Ross-Tech USB Interface from the computer to the vehicle. It connects between the USB port on the computer to the USB plug on the interface. The length of this cable is 16 feet or 5 meters.

It is constructed of high quality signal cable and active repeater electronics which boost the USB signal for maximum reliability and performance over extended distances.

Up to two (2) of these cables can be plugged together to extend the reach of a Ross-Tech interface to a maximum of 38 feet (12m). Ross-Tech has tested and certified this length of extension. Lengths beyond 38 feet on the USB cables are neither recommended nor supported.

Please Note: these are the only USB extension cables Ross-Tech will support at this time. They have tested them extensively and found them to perform to their standards.
Thx Billy...appreciate your advice!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Got a link or a cable brand/part #? It would be good; to identify, which specific brand cables, are proven to work in real world conditions. Any info; appreciated, thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
So, no particular brand or part number on the product itself or on the packaging? Just trying to nail down; which cables are confirmed working with the VCDS USB adapter. This will help; the next person, that needs one. Thanks! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts