NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i ordered this cable to use with VCDS lite from amazon b/c my buddy ordered the same one for his jetta and its been helpful and I'm tired of borrowing his. Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Camera & Photo So i hooked it up to my car with the car on then to the computer went to options in vcds and found the com port and tryed to scan my car. Autoscan an nothing:confused:. So then i tryed to create a fault, unhooked the sensor to the airbox to throw a code and still no response from any controller. Am i doing something wrong,faulty cable, should i send this one back and get another one from the seller or try my luck elsewhere. any suggested generic cable, i know i should probably order the ross tech but i don't feel like paying an 100 bucks, trying to stick to budget.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
so i ordered this cable to use with VCDS lite from amazon b/c my buddy ordered the same one for his jetta and its been helpful and I'm tired of borrowing his. Amazon.com: OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409: Camera & Photo So i hooked it up to my car with the car on then to the computer went to options in vcds and found the com port and tryed to scan my car. Autoscan an nothing:confused:. So then i tryed to create a fault, unhooked the sensor to the airbox to throw a code and still no response from any controller. Am i doing something wrong,faulty cable, should i send this one back and get another one from the seller or try my luck elsewhere. any suggested generic cable, i know i should probably order the ross tech but i don't feel like paying an 100 bucks, trying to stick to budget.
If the Ross Tech Cable would only be a Hundred bucks then a lot more people would jump on it. But the real deal is over $300 these days and yes it does a lot more than the VCDS lite version. Getting the generic cables to work can be a pain and they are soooo freakin' slow even if you get them to work.
You actually have to manually assign the com port for that cable and match it to the VCDS software set up otherwise it will not work. Try Com Port 2 or 3. I never got 1 or 4 to work and most of the time if you have Windows 7 it tries to set up a higher com port which doesn't work at all.
Also the "Free" version of VCDS Lite software doesn't really let you do an Autoscan. You will have to buy the software License which is around 99 bucks in order to be able to do a lot of the things that you can't do with the Free version.

Good Luck and I hope you get the crappy Chinese made cable to work. I tried 3 of those cables and it took me several days to get it to work. I finally did get it done but it's still not ideal. I may upgrade to the actual cable by Ross Tech but I need to save up for that a bit longer. One good thing is that if you do buy the VCDS lite software they will let you credit that amount towards your purchase of the real deal later.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
If you only plan on using the cable on older VWs you can get a genuine Ross-Tech cable for $250, just FYI. The other version is $350 I think, but if you can also upgrade for a reduced cost I believe.

·
Registered
762 Posts
There are a couple of issues when trying to use the made in China cables like that on Amazon...

* Quality Control, this is misleading, it implies there is some degree of that during the manufacturing of the "KKL" type interfaces.

* No USB support in VCDS-Lite. VCDS-Lite is based off an old version of "VAG COM". Around 2004 I believe, Ross Tech came out with USB version interfaces and the software forked at that time. VCDS-Lite is really for serial port type interfaces, not USB.

* Serial Port to USB adapters not supported by Ross-Tech. The "KKL" type interface with a USB cord on it is really a serial port interface with a built in USB adapter. From the Ross Tech website:

Many generic USB<->Serial converters are unable to handle the baud rate and timing requirements that are demanded by some control modules using the VAG protocols.
....if you purchase your own USB<->Serial converter, please do not expect us to support it.
-source: Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 1

The very common theme with those cheap generic interfaces is one person will get one to work just fine, but the next 4 people will have issues.

The KII-USB is only $249 and is has the same diagnostic capacity as the factory scan tool which cost $6000 (give or take a little). Ross Tech does have a trade in program for their customers so people can do an interface upgrade instead of having to purchase a 2nd interface outright.

Ross-Tech Store: Interface Upgrades

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
If you only plan on using the cable on older VWs you can get a genuine Ross-Tech cable for $250, just FYI. The other version is $350 I think, but if you can also upgrade for a reduced cost I believe.
Yes, they do let you upgrade. :) I called about possibly trading in mine so I can scan my friends' MKV's and up, it's $100 to upgrade.

I strongly STRONGLY recommend just shelling out the $250 for the real deal. It's invaluable to me. I would be LOST without my vag lol :D

Plus, Ross tech has AMAZING support, they've been incredibly helpful every single time I've called with a question. (Except the guy at the Ross Tech booth at SoWo, he was a little hateful lol)

I'd pay $250 a year if I had to, that's how much I use it. Cheap scanners and the free version just can't hold a candle to the real deal. Just my .02, and I'm a cheapskate :p

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
vag-com cable

I think the cheap cable from ebay or Amazon works best with windows XP or even older windows versions the way it was meant to operate. Windows7 and new versions try to do too much for the user. Find u a laptop with windows xp still installed in the hard drive and try that. That is what I have the vcds-lite with the cheap cable and it works like a charm,Limited but works. fyi-it found the comm port automatically also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts