NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the VW world and see a lot of posts about the Vag-com. It seems to read and display much more info than an OBD-II code scanner. For those of you that bought one are you happy with your purchase? I'm not going to be doing any hard core tuning so I'm wondering if it's worth the $250. The $99 OBD-II code scanner reads and erases codes on VW's correct?

Thanks

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
I recently got an ebay style ($40) cable with release 311.2 and got it activated for full functionality. ($99)

you cannot beat this price for all this functionality. it will aslo read any P codes in OBDii cars so its not just for your VW.

good luck!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Eeyore said:
I recently got an ebay style ($40) cable with release 311.2 and got it activated for full functionality. ($99)

you cannot beat this price for all this functionality. it will aslo read any P codes in OBDii cars so its not just for your VW.

good luck!

I got what he's got.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I got mine for something like $30 but have yet to register the VAGCOM application (largely because we're a Macintosh household and I'm dead stuck on buying an older Windows 95 based Pentium tablet from Toshiba, or a small Toshiba subnotebook, that I can leave in the glovebox with the VAGCOM... so: no PC to install the "it installs on one PC" software yet). Ahem. That said, I've turned off my selective locking, but many of the "advanced" features I wish to play with are locked out without registering VAGCOM. As a scan and diag tool, even in shareware mode, it'll reset codes and do diag work just fine. It's all the personalization stuff that ya pay for :)

I'd recommend it, my only concern is that the Mark V platform (Touareg, Jetta V< Passat 06, Mk V Golf, and many Audis, etc) use the CAN connection, Controlled Area Network I think it is. Essentially, instead of the K wire it uses two crossed wires to communicate. Basically, if you use a non CAN cable (like mine) in a CAN car and scan some systems (like the airbags) it'll kill them. To my knowledge, and what I've read online, no Beetles are CAN-based. But, if you are looking at a long-term purchase, that you plan to use on other VW/Audi cars, buying all your cables and software right from ROSS-TECH might be advised.

Just another $.02 :)

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
I went ahead and sprung for a real Ross-Tech cable, Hex-Com. I'm happy with the purchase. I've reprogramed my head unit to recognize CD changer and reprogramed my seatbelt warning chime. I doubt the dealer would have done the seatbelt for me. Also living 200 miles from the nearest VW dealer having a Vag-Com made sense for me.
If your NB is just what you are driving right now, it's not worth the cost.
If you plan on keeping it a while and like to do your own work, the generic cable and shareware version might be for you.
If VW is your religion or you are particularly dedicated to your NB, get a Ross-Tech cable.
Also check out VW Vortex Vag-Com forums. http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=510

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You said- "I recently got an ebay style ($40) cable with release 311.2 and got it activated for full functionality. ($99)

you cannot beat this price for all this functionality. it will aslo read any P codes in OBDii cars so its not just for your VW."

I don't quite understand what exactly you bought. Can you be more specific?

Thanks

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Skoobahead said:
You said- "I recently got an ebay style ($40) cable with release 311.2 and got it activated for full functionality. ($99)

you cannot beat this price for all this functionality. it will aslo read any P codes in OBDii cars so its not just for your VW."

I don't quite understand what exactly you bought. Can you be more specific?

Thanks
I can be. Search for user "alpha-bid" on eBay. Buy the USB KKL cable for VAG-COM. Download version 311.2 from ross-tech.com and the drivers from the main seller store page.

jazzcat-nope, strictly pc-based...no hand-held version yet.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Aw gee, don't use the cracked version. Ross-Tech has spent a lot of time and money just to help us out. They are willing to help you out with problems not only with their product, but with your usage and trouble shooting. They deserve the $99. You can transfer the program from one PC to your next one. Just tell Ross-Tech, and they send a new key.
Cheat, shame on you.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
hannaco said:
Aw gee, don't use the cracked version. Ross-Tech has spent a lot of time and money just to help us out. They are willing to help you out with problems not only with their product, but with your usage and trouble shooting. They deserve the $99. You can transfer the program from one PC to your next one. Just tell Ross-Tech, and they send a new key.
Cheat, shame on you.
He isn't called The Cheat for nothing now... ;)

ROSS-TECH doesn't have the strictest of requirements, infact I'll be running this on an AV-carted P1 Desktop (we're a Mac household). So far, the App's ran under XP and 2000 ... which is all I have had access to. They say most anything Pentium or better with 95 installed. Pretty broad range, dig out that old Toshiba Satellite from the closet!

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
hannaco said:
Cheat, shame on you.

FWIW, I've ponied up for the CAN-BUS cable as well, which lives in Maine with my sister. Would buy another if I could afford, but I can't and my NB has no CAN connections, thus the cheap cable. No reason to spend $229 to clear fault codes when if I need to hack, I can just wait till the sis comes home from school or have her send me the cable with the reg.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The Cheat said:
FWIW, I've ponied up for the CAN-BUS cable as well, which lives in Maine with my sister. Would buy another if I could afford, but I can't and my NB has no CAN connections, thus the cheap cable. No reason to spend $229 to clear fault codes when if I need to hack, I can just wait till the sis comes home from school or have her send me the cable with the reg.
Eh.. I *think* that the 2.5L 06's are CAN-BUS, but I could (likely, I hope) be wrong. Are/Aren't all 2.5L's CAN-BUS cars?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Hey Cheat! I'm proud that you bought the real thing. But, please don't encourage others to get the cracked version. It just isn't right for so many reasons. The $99 activation fee for most is not that far out of reach with a little saving.
As it has been pointed out many times, the freeware version is good enough for most users.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
hannaco said:
Hey Cheat! I'm proud that you bought the real thing. But, please don't encourage others to get the cracked version. It just isn't right for so many reasons. The $99 activation fee for most is not that far out of reach with a little saving.
As it has been pointed out many times, the freeware version is good enough for most users.
IN combined use with a 2.0 and the posted (THANKS TOM!!!) P-list code thread, YES.. shareware is good enough. However, the unregistered version only reads the first code, it'll give ya the # but not the description. Incentive to register :)

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
man... what happended to the old float bowl carb point ignition that anybody could figger out.
Believe it or not computer control is way easier to deal with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts