NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well the headliner in my '98 started sagging so I improvised [VHL DIY 000] and all was well, until spring came; I prefer to have the windows down rather than A/C running, unfortunately the excess wind caused the headliner to separate at the window trim. So I picked up some spray adhesive and it only worked for a day; the wind was causing the remaining headliner to flap which worked loose the headliner edges that I glued.

So I realized that I could not put it off any longer, time to due a headliner replacement and put together another DIY. Now I wanted a similar padded feel just like the original, but wanted to be sure not to get a fabric that cannot be cleaned with upholster cleaner; nearly all fabric I looked at was dry clean only. I did manage to find a plush/padded fabric in my color [VHL DIY 039] (it is actually Yellow, [VHL DIY 039] pic does not do it justice) and was hand wash only, delicate cycle, lay flat to dry. So this meant that I could put it in the washing machine on the delicate cycle and lay it across the roof of my NB to dry. It also has a mesh backing [VHL DIY 040]; which meant that once glued it should hold up really well, Cool!

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you understand that a hack saw or cutting torch are not the right tools and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB - 1998 2.0 liter 5 speed

According to eBahn-Bentley the interior layout changed after January 1999, with following interior additions and there are no removal instructions for these items unless noted otherwise...
1) Sunroof

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your NB friends!!

ITEMS NEEDED: An automotive manual; I have the eBahn Bentley DVD and the 1998/1999 Bentley Manual (C-1999). You will need replacement fabric (1.5 sq yards) of your choice or you can wash (delicate cycle cold/cold, lay flat to dry) the existing headliner fabric and reuse it. The existing headliner fabric is like window shears, hold it up in front of you and you can see through it, so you will need some sort of backing (i.e. foam) material if you choose to reuse it and let's not forget the upholstery/fabric/headliner adhesive [VHL DIY 041] of your choice.

FABRIC REQUIREMENTS: Be sure that the fabric you choose has some ability to stretch; FYI, 100% cotton and canvas type fabrics do not stretch well and causes wrinkles in tight corners, so pleating is required. Now fabric weight is something that must be considered, as gravity can surprise you. The fabric that I choose for this DIY can be found here. For those who are curious about Fabric Industry Standards, here is there formula for determining fabric weight ...

1) Measure the yardage of the fabric. One yard equals 0.9144 meters, therefore one yard squared equals 0.9144 meters times 0.9144 meters, and equals 0.83612736 meters squared. Fabric weight calculations are generally measured grams per square meter.
2) Use grams as your main calculation for weight, when weighing fabric. The total of 28.3495231 grams by 0.83612736 meters squared will equal 33.90574744 grams per meter squared. This is the most common equation used in the fabric industry.
3) Round up to three decimal places from 33.90574744 to get 33.906 grams per meter squared.

Read more: How to Calculate the Weight of Fabric | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_7449129_calculate-weight-fabric.html#ixzz2UDUpjCF8

Yea, I can calculate that, :confused: maybe not ... math is not my forte, here is what I did, so bare with me, as it is all after the fact ...

1) Weight of stock (no foam) headliner fabric, 120 grams or 4.23 ounces
2) Weight of 6 square inches (.046296 square yard) of my selected fabric weighs 15 grams
3) There are 21.6, six inch squares in one square yard and 10.8 in a half square yard
4) That is 32.4, six inch squares, which weigh 15 grams each
5) Total fabric weight is 486 Grams or 17.41 ounces or 1.07 pounds
6) 15% Fabric weight variance for foam, if you choose to use it, that is +73 grams or 2.57 ounces

So as long as your headliner weight (Fabric and Foam) is less than 1.5 pounds, you are good to go.

PROJECT COST: (moderate estimate): 1 Cloth/Fabric (1.5 sq yards) $20.00, 1-16 oz Spray Can Adhesive $11.00.

SPECIAL TOOLS: None needed.

TIME NEEDED: 30 minutes for headliner removal and re-installation, +/- for 30 minutes for your DIY skills. Also the adhesive that you choose to use will have a cure time (read the directions on the can), be sure that you factor that in so your headliner does not drop on your head when you are re-installing it. Trimming the fabric can vary from 15 minutes to an hour depending on how easy the fabric is to cut and the neatness that you want on the edges.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The existing foam on the headliner will have to be removed and if choose to reuse the existing headliner fabric it will have to be removed as well and washing it usually does it. When removing the foam do it carefully as the headliner is a VERY THIN FIBERGLASS SHELL and IT WILL CRACK and/or BREAK EASILY if not handled properly! Also if you do choose to use foam, you will need to sand (180-320 Grit sanding sponge works well) the surface to eliminated anything that will cause the foam to snag and it is oh so easy to snag foam.

CAUTIONS: It is not necessary to disconnect the the battery for this project; however if this is a step in a larger project you might want to. Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) or clip(s) that you missed?

So let’s begin...

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So far you have been the Mac Daddy of the DIY's.
Looking forward to this one.
Thanks, I like doing them and this one was easier than I thought; 3 hours and that is because I was taking pictures.

Once Cowboy is finished (by the July 4th weekend hopefully) I'll be finishing up the Blend Door DIY.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Step One: [VHL DIY 001 thru 003] Remove the drivers/passenger side front pillars. Pull the top corner down and out while sliding your hand down; this will take some effort, so be careful not to use to much force. It is not necessary to disconnect any wires, just let it lay across the dash.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Step Two: [VHL DIY 005 thru 013] Remove the Sun-visors and their associated lights. Be careful when prying any plastic as it will damage easily. You will make some prying marks, but you want to do what you can to minimize it.

The sun-visor lights have metal clips on each end, push the clip in with your screw driver 005-1, while prying down to get the light out; be careful not to get you screw driver under the headliner metal trim. This metal trim is visible in the pic; if you try to pry the light out with your screw driver under the metal trim you will break the headliner. For those that have rear seat dome lights 005-A, they are the same light and are removed in the same manner as the front lights.

Once you have the light out there are two little levers 006-1 (not visible in the pic) at the top of the connector; squeeze in on both and pull the connector to disconnect.

The sun-visors have a single screw, remove the cover plate 008-1 and remove the phillips head screw 009-1. Now to get the sun-visor out requires some tricky pulling as noted by the arrow in 010-1, you must pull down while the opposite end of the visor goes up, but there are two little prongs 010-2 on the end your pulling down, so be careful how much force you use to pull down or you will damage the headliner.

For '99 models and up the sun visor wiring has been changed; there is a metal clip [010A] attached the sun visor arm; I am uncertain as to what its use is, just be sure not to damage it.

To disconnect the mirror light pull the little tab 011-1 in the direction of the arrow.

Now the sun-visor clips were the most difficult to get because the plastic clips were the stiffest 012; once you pry the cover off there are only two phillips screws to remove 013-1 and 013-2.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Step Three: [VHL DIY 014 thru 017] Remove the mirror; '99 NB's and up have a temp/clock/mirror display. Places your fingers on the corner and pull down the cover as noted in pics 014 and 015A.

For all model years; to disconnect the mirror, place a screw driver as noted in pic 015 and with a push in and twist motion the mirror will pop free. Be careful and do not drop the mirror, you would not want to break it.

For '99 NB's and up there will be a wiring connector to disconnect [pic 15B]; squeeze in on the levers and pull the connector free. Also it is not necessary to remove the storage compartment, you only need to remove the two screws as noted in pic 016A. Be sure and do not loose these screws as they are an exact fit; DO NOT use longer screws or you will poke holes in your roof.

For '98 NB's only; the clock has a plastic clip at either end of the clock 016, be careful when prying or you will break a clip and I did :mad: dang IT! The connector for the '98 clock does not have any connector clips simply pull it out to disconnect 017.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Step Four: [VHL DIY 018 thru 023] Remove the rear cover trim 018. Removing this piece of trim was tough as this piece helps to hold the headliner up. Be careful as there are two really small plastic clips on the corners and if you break them the corners will sag. From the drivers side corner 019, pull down while sliding your hand to the left. The really little plastic clip (020-1) noted earlier is right behind my finger as noted by the green arrow. Now there are 5 large metal clips that make pulling this trim down tough. The metal clips may come out of the plastic trim instead of coming out of the roof brace 022. So you will need some needle nose pliers to pull the clips out of the roof brace and reinstall them in to the trim 023; they clips slide in to the clip bracket.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Step Five: [VHL DIY 025 thru 032] Remove the upper rear window and seat belt and column trim. It is possible to get the headliner out at this point but I do not recommend it as you have to bend the seat belt column trim to much, which damages it; I know I speak from experience. :mad: :banghead:

To get the upper rear window down remove the lone screw noted in pic 025; however you should wait until you get the seat belt trim disconnected or you will bend the plastic to far. To remove the hand strap, pop off the cover plate 026 and remove the one screw 027 and the three remaining screws noted in pic 028. Next flip up the seat belt cover plate and remove the seat belt bracket bolt noted in pic 032. Now remove the seat belt column trim and the upper window trim.

For model years '99 and up you have a sun glasses case on the drivers side [033 and 034] and a grab handle [035] on the passenger side; each is held on by two screws; do not loose the screws. Using the wrong longer screws will result in putting holes in your roof. To access the screws you must open the plastic cover/cap; place the tip of a small screw driver in the small hole [033] pry toward you and it will pop open.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Step Six: [VHL DIY 033 thru 034] Remove the head liner. It is not necessary to remove the door trim, unless you want to. You will need to open the trunk and let the rear seat down in order to get the headliner out. I recommend that you get someone to assist you in getting the head liner out; it is not heavy, just bulky.

From the drivers side front work your fingers into the door trim, which is rubber and pliable, pull down slightly, then with your other hand GENTLY pull down the front corner of the head liner. Work your hands GENTLY toward the rear of the car, while pulling down.

You Are Done!!!:D

Follow these instructions in reverse to reinstall.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I had an interesting quandary develop yesterday. I washed the replacement headliner fabric and noted how heavy it was wet; as its cleaning instructions are lay flat to dry.

So after the new headliner dried I weighed them both, old and new; the old one came in at five ounces and the new one at two pounds ten ounces. Now here is what I know...

1) The old foam weight is estimated to be about 5-8 ounces; estimated total weight of 10-13 ounces.
2) The amount of fabric that will be trimmed from the new one will probably be less than a pound.

... so will the thin fiberglass backing support 34 to 42 ounces? :confused:

For those of you who have changed your headliners out, was your new headliner heavier than the old one?

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
For those of you who have changed your headliners out, was your new headliner heavier than the old one?
I believe Cup's headliner was heavier, only because I was using upholstery-grade tweed vs. headliner fabric.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I believe Cup's headliner was heavier, only because I was using upholstery-grade tweed vs. headliner fabric.
I remember that, as I will be using your "spoon" technique to smooth out the tight corners.

How is your tweed holding up?

Yesterday, I got the old foam brushed off and washed it; I found out that a dry stiff brush works best and after it is all brushed off, use the same brush to wash it off. I used Dawn and warm water; then hosed it off. I'll be posting those pics later today.

I'm going to wait a day, for it to dry and then I'll spray on the glue, apply the fabric and let that set for a day, as the instructions on the can say it takes 24 hours to fully cure. Then I'll trim off the excess, cut out the holes and reinstall it.

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
I remember that, as I will be using your "spoon" technique to smooth out the tight corners.

How is your tweed holding up?
:lol: you remember my hi-tech device:lol:

Cup's liner is soild!!! No sags to report and it's been almost 4 years since i've done the job. Not too shabby considering the nature of headliners in the Florida heat.

I linked your thread on my headliner thread BTW. Your detail of taking out interior trim is vital for those without a Bentley Manual.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:lol: you remember my hi-tech device:lol:

Cup's liner is soild!!! No sags to report and it's been almost 4 years since i've done the job. Not too shabby considering the nature of headliners in the Florida heat.

I linked your thread on my headliner thread BTW. Your detail of taking out interior trim is vital for those without a Bentley Manual.
Four years, :eek: has it been that long?! I know what you mean about heat and humidity, TN weather is just as bad a FL at times.

OK on the link, and someone thanked me the other day, saying that one of my DIY's puts Haynes to shame, I got a laugh from that. :D

1 - 20 of 128 Posts