NewBeetle.org Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Here are the pics during the old foam scrap off; [VHL DIY 035] shows the halfway point and it seems that the headliner was getting soft around the edges from the water, so be sure that you do not soak or submerse the headliner to get the old foam off. I placed cardboard under the headliner, that way I could spin/move it around without fear of damaging it. [VHL DIY 036] is a foam-less headliner.

Also I wanted to get an idea of what the new fabric will look like so I draped it over the headliner and I notice that my fabric has a grain, because from one angle it really looks yellow [VHL DIY 037] and from the other (opposite side) a pale yellow [VHL DIY 038]. So when I install it, I needs to be yellow from the front view and a pale yellow from the rear view.

Attachments

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the backing with water after seeing what it was made of.

We scraped the bulk of the foamy stuff off with putty knives.. 3" for the large areas, 1" for the smaller, curvier bits. (keep a few rags around to clean the knife off frequently!) Then we went over it with steel wool to get the rest of the adhesive residue off. worked amazingly well, wasn't too messy, and went really quick!

Love the velvet fabric, btw! I looked around for some too, but couldn't quite find the color I wanted. The stuff I ended up looks more suede-y.

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Hmm. Interesting. I wouldn't have gone anywhere near the backing with water after seeing what it was made of.

We scraped the bulk of the foamy stuff off with putty knives.. 3" for the large areas, 1" for the smaller, curvier bits. (keep a few rags around to clean the knife off frequently!) Then we went over it with steel wool to get the rest of the adhesive residue off. worked amazingly well, wasn't too messy, and went really quick!

Love the velvet fabric, btw! I looked around for some too, but couldn't quite find the color I wanted. The stuff I ended up looks more suede-y.
I used very little water and only after the old foam had been scrapped off. I'm not certain what the material actually is; do you know? :confused:

Now that you mention it, it probably would not hurt to go over it with a 180 grit sanding sponge.

Thanks, it was rather funny how I picked it; the wife and I went to a fabric store and I queried one of the employees about fabric for my purpose and she said, while pointing, "... that fabric is at the far opposite end of the store". I turned and look down the long corridor and it was kinda hanging out from the shelf. I knew then I found what I wanted! :D

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Yesterday I completed what surface prep I wanted to do and glued my new headliner fabric to the headliner.

Well I used the 180 grit sanding sponge and the only difference that I noticed is that the surface was smoother; not sure if that is benefit or not.

Well I got the glue sprayed on and per the instructions you are supposed to use 2-3 overlapping coats, going vertical, then horizontal, back to vertical, etc... Well I even went diagonally, as I wanted to be sure I had an even coat. I was able to get two coats out of the one can. Pic 042 shows the first coat and the pic 043 show the second coat.

Now I was concerned about the "grain" of the fabric, as I wanted the darker yellow to show from the front and the lighter yellow to show from the back; which meant that it was going to be a tight fit, as I barley had enough fabric to do it that way. Had I choose a left/right grain there would have been fabric to spare all around.

So pic 044 shows the rear view and pic 045 shows the front view, with pic 046 showing you just how close I was on the fabric; aside from this anomaly all went well.

HERE IS HOW I DID IT: First I sprayed the entire headliner insert; two coats. The glue instructions said to let each coat get tacky; that means waiting five minutes between each coat and the last coat. Then with the help of my son, starting from the rear I clipped the head liner fabric on the three rear tabs. My son held the fabric up as I worked my way slowly toward the front, going side to side and the only tool that I used was the "spoon". Because I went real slow, I did have to add some more glue to the front edged when I finally got there.

I let dry over night as the glue instructions say that it fully cures in 24 hours.

So it is time to trim the excess fabric and reinstall, more pics to follow... :D

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Got it all trimmed and re-inastlled! :banana: :guitar: :D

And here are the pics...

[VHL DIY 047] Trimming tools.
[VHL DIY 048 and 049] What it looked like after I trimmed it.
[VHL DIY 050] getting it back in the car.
[VHL DIY 051 thru 054] What it looks like re-installed! :)

I did have some trouble with the drivers side trim, it finally fell down completely, so I used carpet tape to hold it up for picture taking, now I'm on my way to Autozone to get some automotive trim glue so I can glue it back up!

Well now that it is up, its like... "Cool! Not really what I expected, but I like it!"

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Wow wow wow wow whoooooo!!!

Friggin sweet job you've done sir Frank:bigthumb: That yellow is a sweet contrast to the tan. Job well done my man. Grab you a cold drink and relish the grand achievement!

BTW, VHL DIY 046 is a sweet pic. It looks like Valdez is swimming in a yellow ocean:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,846 Posts
Celebrating... took it for a spin and wow, it is brighter inside now, OMG, I gonna need window tint now!

Time for grilled burgers, dogs, chips and Saint Pauly's Girl beer!
That sounds like a good celebration Frank! Well deserved my friend!

I'm not really much of a drinker anymore- very special occasions I will. But today i have a taste for a big juicy steak or a nice big burger and a good robust beer to wash it down. Guess for now until that very special moment, a root beer will have to do- unless a certain person named Frank invites me up for some burgers and such:rolleyes::D.

And yes!!! Tint is definitely needed- always a great compliment for a yellow beetle!

·
"SunShine" 01 1.8T 5sp.
1,671 Posts
I am looking for blue and green tie die so that we can do mine when it gets cooler.. I am not going to do it until I find the fabric I fall head over heals in love with.. Lol.. ;)

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
Any ideas where I can get blue and green tie die fabric at? lol
I just googled "blue green tie dye fabric" and browsed through the shopping results.. brought up some interesting stuff... but most of the patterns I liked were all 44" wide and probably craft-fabric weight, which isn't wide enough, or heavy enough. hehe. me being me, I'd probably find some plain white fabric and make my own. :lol:

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'll letcha know how mine goes!
Thanks, cannot wait to see it! :D

Any ideas where I can get blue and green tie die fabric at? lol
I just googled "blue green tie dye fabric" and browsed through the shopping results.. brought up some interesting stuff... but most of the patterns I liked were all 44" wide and probably craft-fabric weight, which isn't wide enough, or heavy enough. hehe. me being me, I'd probably find some plain white fabric and make my own. :lol:
LOL, seriously, Google ... "tie dye fabric by the yard"

Nice job, I am getting ready to do my 1999. Now imhave a great guide to use. Very nice job!
Thanks. :) If you need any help let me know.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice work, one thing I noticed is everyone seems to take the headliner out of the rear hatch. Took mine out through the passenger door. Worked like a champ and was easier for me as I was doing it alone.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts