NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well once a year I take the seats out of my NB and clean the carpet, headliner and seats. This is also an ideal time to fix that air bag/seat belt warning light issue if your NB has that problem.

DISCLAIMER: The author(s) assume that you (the reader) are reasonably capable with the automotive tools necessary to get the job accomplished, which means that you understand that a hack saw or cutting torch are not the right tools and are smart enough to know not to try to blame or post ranting about anyone else if something goes horribly wrong. AGREED?

These instructions were developed using the following NB - 1998 2.0 liter 5 speed

I'm not certain of the seat interior changes between model years, but I do know that the seats depicted here are the same from 1998 through 2000.

As always, just remember to offer a simple thank you and credit to the original author (D2Beetle) when you tell all of your NB friends!!

ITEMS NEEDED: An automotive manual; I have the eBahn Bentley DVD and the 1998/1999 Bentley Manual (C-1999).

PROJECT COST: $ 0.00 unless you break something.

SPECIAL TOOLS: T-40.

TIME NEEDED: 15 minutes for seat removal and re-installation.

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: The seat is heavy and bulky.

CAUTIONS: Be carefull and do not strain your back by lifting the seat incorrectly. It is not necessary to disconnect the the battery for this project; however if this is a step in a larger project you might want to. Be careful with all plastic, it will be brittle. If something does not move look for the screw(s) or clip(s) that you missed?

So let’s begin...

Step Zero: Remove the head rests as this will make it easier to lift the seat out of the car.

Step One: [VSR DIY 001] Remove the seats slide rail covers. Slide the drivers seat all the way forward and using a small flat screw driver pop off the plastic caps 1 and 2; you will need a phillips head screwdriver to get the screws out.

Step Two: [VSR DIY 002] Slide the drivers seat all the way back and disconnect the front seat mount; you will need a T-40 to get these screws out; 002-1 and 002-2. You will need needle nose pliers to get the plastic tab out; simple squeeze in the sides of the plastic tab while pushing the seat backwards.

Step Three: [VSR DIY 003, 003B and 004] Disconnect the seats wiring harness connector; there are three connectors, one is for the seat air bag, another for the seat heater and last but not least the seat belt buckle. The 003-3 connector disconnects differently than the other two, use your finger nail to push in the connectors plastic tab while gently pulling on it. A small flat head screw driver works on the other two; simply insert the screw driver under the plastic snap, twist the screw driver slightly and pull the connector.

Items 003-4 (green circles) are the wires for the seat belt connector; I put these connectors in so I could disconnect/reconnect the seat belt connector without taking the seat out. Yea, my air bag light is on and that project is low on my "To-Do" list.

Step Four: [VSR DIY 005 and 006] Disconnect the wire harness from the connector frame; squeeze the sides of the plastic clips with needle nose pliers and push down on it and it will pop out of the frame.

You are Done! Be careful when lifting the seat out of the car it is heavy.

[VSR DIY 007] shows you the bottom of the drivers seat out of the car. In case you are wondering about the bright yellow background in pic [VSR DIY 004] it is my new headliner that I put in.

Attachments

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I used a Bissell Spot Bot filled with Cheer laundry detergent; works just as good as the over priced cleaners that they want you to buy. If you have some oily or greasy spots add a small amount of Dawn to the mix.

Also you should have a box of Borax or a four pound box of Arm & Hammer on hand in case of mildew. Be careful not to over soak the carpet/seat or you will have a mildew smell to deal with the next morning. It is best to do this as early in the morning as possible so it will have time to dry; leave your NB in the sun and the windows down about 1-2 inches, if you leave the windows rolled up condensation will form inside the car and you will have a mildew smell to deal with the next morning. After the carpet is dry reinstall the seats.

Now in case you do experience a mildew event, this is where the Borax or Arm & hammer come in. Pour half the box on each of the rear floor boards evenly; try not to get it into any of the wire connectors or the seat slide rails. Close the widows completely and leave the car in the sun for 24 hours and then vacuum it up.

Now if you have an overwhelming mildew event, basically on day three you can still smell it; get a cloth bag (some bed linens come in a cloth bag, this is what I use) and fill it with a four pound box of Arm & Hammer and place it in the rear floor board and every time you NB is parked leave the windows up. The worse the smell the more Arm & Hammer bags to use. Leave them in your NB for 3-7 days; works faster if you do not drive your NB and let it sit the whole time.

The most I have every used is two and left them in the car ten days. The wife spilled a crock pot full of white chili on the passenger floor board; do you know what that smells like after a couple of days! :hurl:

Attachments

·
99 Yellow VDub
54 Posts
I honestly didn't know it was that easy to take the seats out! I had been putting off cleaning my carpet for so long because it was going to be an all weekend affair.... Definitly going to try it now! Thanks!:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Dumb question... what are the safeguards to ensure not blowing the airbags while removing or installing the seat?
Dumb would have been not asking! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The professional cleaning services that take care of your carpet and furniture can get stains out that you never would be able to with a rag and soap. They have professional high-grade cleaning solutions that are safe and gentle on your fabric while tough on stains and smells. They can get the smell out of anything with their supplies alone. For more information just visit our website at AJS Carpet Cleaning, Inc. South Jordan, UT

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think I missed something, how does this take care of the air bag/seat belt warning light? Great pics and writeup on taking things apart and getting them cleaned BTW thanks. Just wondering how this fixes the light being on? Does just disconnecting/reconnecting the harnesses turn the light off? I noticed the light came on, on mine recently. 99 gls manual 2.0l aeg.

Thanks
-Mike

·
5,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I missed something, how does this take care of the air bag/seat belt warning light? Great pics and writeup on taking things apart and getting them cleaned BTW thanks. Just wondering how this fixes the light being on? Does just disconnecting/reconnecting the harnesses turn the light off? I noticed the light came on, on mine recently. 99 gls manual 2.0l aeg.

Thanks
-Mike
Nothing in this DIY is meant for fixing the Air Bag Warning Light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How do you remove the backseat? Dog food was spilled and I need to get the backseat out to clean up what fell between the seat and the door panel.
Thank you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts