VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife wants another beetle and have located a 03 NBC with 78,000 miles. It is surging in and out in drive at startup sitting still, but shifted smooth thru the whole test drive.Went back the next day same thing.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unfortunately ALL VW Beetles will have valvebody issues. Typically around 70-85k miles depending on how and where the car was drive.

The problem start small and will get worse. I am the original owner of a 2003 1.8 GLX NBC that has a 6 speed Tiptronic. The valve body started to show problems around 65k miles, by 74k miles it was very bad and harsh by 74k miles. But this car was a city commuter with many, many, many shifts per day.

A highway cruiser would likely get more mileage before the problems became very harsh and obvious.

If you can DIY, swapping out a rebuild valvebody will run around $650-$700 with fluid and filter, if you have to pay for the job, it should run about $1000-$1100 for a reasonable shop. Expect $1500 or more a shop that does not know what they are doing or does not understand these cars and wants to perform a complete transmission overhaul.

Stay away from the national chain transmission shops, they only want to perform overhauls and often miss the valve body, then they want to charge you another $1500 to replace the vavle body they missed on the first transmission repair.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Have another NBC find that has a verified valvebody change at the dealer. Problem is, are their replacements going to end up with the same result.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Unclear if there were ever any "real" improvements or changes in the valvebodies, so I would expect another 60-80k miles and the same problems may show up.

But the good news is will these transmissions even last 150k miles plus without having other problems?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unclear if there were ever any "real" improvements or changes in the valvebodies, so I would expect another 60-80k miles and the same problems may show up.

But the good news is will these transmissions even last 150k miles plus without having other problems?
Have finally traded up the wife another beetle. 02 with 2.0 and no tip. Would that be the 4 speed? Had to haul it home because it was in limp mode. Codes came up Throttle position sensor but the guy swore he replaced it. Checked and it is the right part number with a date code of 1/14. Thinking it needs the TBA but my scan tool won't communicate in VW mode but will in Can/OBD.It is a Memoscan U585. Cleared the codes in OBD/Can and it drives great for a while but the EPC comes back overnight.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Have finally traded up the wife another beetle. 02 with 2.0 and no tip. Would that be the 4 speed? Had to haul it home because it was in limp mode. Codes came up Throttle position sensor but the guy swore he replaced it. Checked and it is the right part number with a date code of 1/14. Thinking it needs the TBA but my scan tool won't communicate in VW mode but will in Can/OBD.It is a Memoscan U585. Cleared the codes in OBD/Can and it drives great for a while but the EPC comes back overnight.
Only 2 automatic transmission in these cars, 4 speed and 6 speed Tiptronic. Both the 4 & 6 speed automatics have valve body problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts