NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I need some help. I have a 2005 2.0 beetle with 87,000 miles on it, 6 speed 09g transmission. It was having the hard shifting issues after the car reached temp (no check engine light or codes). My daughter drove it like that for about a month or so before she decided to let me know the issue. After spending hours reading the forms I decided to replace the valve body because that’s what everything was pointing to. I purchased the valve body from Street smart transmission in Florida. After installing the valve body the car had a check engine light and was giving the code P0753 and saying shift solenoid A. When I shift the car out of park to reverse it jerks hard, same thing shifting to drive. Now it’s in limp mode (3rd gear). I called the company and they sent me a replacement valve body under warranty and it’s doing the same thing the new one was doing previously with the jerking and in limp mode. Anyone have any suggestions on what possibly could be going wrong?

·
Registered
12,136 Posts

P0753 VOLKSWAGEN Possible Causes
  • Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty shift solenoid 'A' valve
  • Shift solenoid 'A' valve harness or connectors
  • Shift solenoid 'A' valve circuit is open or shorted
Troubleshooting, this type of issue; would benefit, from viewing live data and that way, you could "see", what valves are not working. This is another classic case, of needing a VW specific scan tool; like, VCDS by Ross Tech or equivalent, to see the output tests and related data, to confirm what is or isn't working in the transmission.

We have seen, where the external wiring harness or the internal wiring harness, plugs that connect to the solenoids (are defective/broken/loose connection), are killing communication with the ecu, intermittently (thermal issues are common) but other internal issues, can be a issue as well. The fact, that BOTH valve bodies; had the same issue, would seem like it could be a wiring issue or a greater internal problem (it seems specific to the valve body; based, upon the trouble code, however). New wiring replacement harnesses, are available from tranmission parts suppliers or possibly from VW; they seem to be typically, recommended replacement service parts, when swapping out the valve body.

There are quite a few 09G valve body install and repair videos; they might shed some light on things and help you, double check your install or replace the ribbon cable or retaining clips, etc.

external harness/cable:

solenoid replacement video; could help with confirming install is correct:

As noted, a factory level VW scan tool; could really help diagnose things more intelligently. What scan tool; are you using?

Look at this video, that shows using VCDS; how you can look at live data via "measuring blocks", to see how the transmission is operating in real time.

This type of live data; is invaluable, in "seeing", the solenoids working, the shifting selector see the gear it is currently in, the gears advancing as the trans shifts, etc.

There are other procedures; such as, resetting the shift down settings, etc. Look at more videos below.

So, until you do some testing, view live data and confirm, the trouble codes, etc., it is hard to know, what is currently the problem. Let us know, what you are thinking, in terms of moving forward with things and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I changed my winter tires(studded) to summer tires today and my car stopped downshifting rough. It still has a slight hesitation from 1 to 2 but no more rear ended thunks when downshifting. Should I not put the studded snow tires back on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Billymade,

Thanks for all the helpful info. I decided to replace the 14 pin wire harness thinking maybe I damaged one of the wires from pulling the plugs. After dropping the valve body for the 6th time, I traced the wire to the outside of the trans casing. That’s were I found a glob of black rubber tape and zip ties holding together the 2 plugs. Someone that had the car before me must have broken the plug a was to dumb or lazy to fix it properly. I must have hit the plug not realizing what it was because I couldn’t see past the glob of rubber tape. After properly fixing the two connections, success it’s working great now. Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
BINGO! We seem to see, many harness and connectors damaged; causing shifting problems! Great diagnostic and visual inspection work; I am glad to hear, you got it fixed! GOOD JOB! :)

VW had a tech bulletin on trans wiring harness issues and even had a specific repair kit for it, which now, seems to be "NLA", (unfortunately), no longer available from the VW parts dept.

PS: can you tell us, about the wiring/plug repair; did you buy a whole new hareness, splice in a new plug, etc and where did you source the parts from? This type of info, can help the next person; that may have the same issue, as you! Thanks! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts