NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my valve cover replaced Saturday and now there is white smoke coming from the exhaust. Car was not doing this until I had the valve cover replace per there recommendation. So I picked my car up Saturday around 3 pm and i drove a short distances home and everything seemed fine but today I was driving 15 miles down the road and notice white smoke coming from the rear. It was so instance that I could not see anything behind me. There are no check engine lights on and the car seems to drive fine but I just don't understand where all of this smoke is coming from. I am beyond pissed that I spent all of this money for them not to fix the car correctly. To me it seems like the vw service always tries rip people off. It's like there service guys want to damage your cars so they can make more money. The car is currently setting in the parking lot waiting for them to open up at 7:30 am. I am ready to hear there excuses and lies. But anyone have a clue of what this could be?

·
Registered
14,088 Posts
When you do a valve cover job; oil, typically get on the engine and other places, it usually takes a little time to "burn off". Does it smell like a burning oil, smell? In this case; the smoke would come from the engine compartment or from under the car; are you sure it is coming out of the exhaust? If you are concerned; take it back to the shop that did the work and have them check it out. Usually, the oil burns off after a drive or two and it stops smoking, unless there are other problems.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car is currently at the dealer and they are saying that the engine is dirty and that they think they see a leak but aren't sure where. At this point I'm not sure what to think. My car never did this until the day it came out the shop. Yes it did smell like burning oil.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
2 things came to mind:

1. lots of dirty oil on exhaust
2. coolant in the oil.

i would do a oil change and a coolant flush. but you have it at the dealer so they will know what to do.

-jd

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They just told me it's the vacuum pump. I usually always have the car dealer maintained and they are telling me that the vacuum pump is shot.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update I took the car back once again and now they are admitting that the valve cover was not properly installed. Will never take my car back to that dealership for service because they are a bunch of crooks. At least my car isn't smoking anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts