NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that someone knifed my top - about a five inch cut through the outer layer near the passenger door. (It's an '04)

I'm wondering what options are out there to repair it. Can it be patched? Any idea what repair costs would run? My other option would be to get it replaced completely and just pay my deductible.

Advice? Thanks,
Caleb

·
Super Moderator
14,715 Posts
It is not repairable....:mad::mad:

You need a replacement. If it were mine, I would use my insurance. So sorry that happened, but just remember two words:

Karma, baby! :shoot:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Don't know what your deductible is, but it'll run over $3k to have it replaced with a new. If you did it yourself, with a used top, you'd have $600-$1000 in the top alone, plus your labor, and then with a used top, what have you got?

Sad the world we live in today...
that anyone would be so malicious. And to what end...

Didn't pi$$ of an ex did you?

MORAV

·
Registered
119 Posts
I dont know what the tops are made of. I own a sail boat, I have in the past have had to repair torn sails. You get a sail needle and some thread and sew it and put some sail tape over the damage unti lyou figure out what your going to do. Atleast it wount leak or tear futher. Heck the sail tape might work by itself, it's purdy tough stuff.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
It is not repairable....:mad::mad:
:confused:

One of my best friends run's a car trimming business.

I'm forever seeing him patch up roofs. Their either stitched, a patch glued on the inside, or a patch heat welded to the inside (underside). Albeit these fixes are only temperary measures, due to the owners choice of wanting a patch or comestically worried and getting the roof done thereafter. I still see a few patches he's done around town years after. Can't imagine the New Bug material being that different.

Quick Tube search also says Yes :p

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=convertible+roof+repair&aq=f

OP Sorry to hear of your roof :(

:)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Convertible tops can indeed be repaired. Just google it and you can see a video on youtube. No, it will not look as good as brand new top. But if $$ is an issue, you can repair it. If it were me, I would probably pay the deductible and get a new one. I hate to see an obvious repair like that.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Oper has insurance as stated, can't imagine he/she would want a patch job. I think they were more asking about like maybe, sewing in a new section to the existing top.

M. :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
If you get insurance involved, DO NOT allow an aftermarket top to be installed.

I did the repair work on a case just like yours, some one had knife the top open. My original estimate for repair (using the OEM top and headliner) was cheaper than the estimate from the insurance adjuster. So the adjuster, for whatever stupid reason he had decided to get an aftermarket outer shell.

If fit like crap. The rear headliner would not stay put at the rear glass, there was a gaps along the body and it took 5 people to get the top to close. I told the adjuster how big of a turd he purchased to which he mentions how the guys at the Audi dealer said the same thing about a top he got from the same company for a TT. I guess he didn't learn anything.

I've installed a lot of tops on Beetles... OEM only.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yup! :bigthumb: Insurance companies can be tough to deal with.:banghead: Just have to stand you're ground. I'm assuming the Ins Co ended up buying it twice. Been my car I'd have never signed off!

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts