NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well;

I thought I would chime in here with the vb3 upgrade thougts.

My thoughts? GO FOR IT! :)

I was away for the weekend and didnt see Jeff's post about creating this test forum, as such I had did the same on friday afternoon along with the assitance of noR..

http://jameswebb.ca/forums

If you wanted to take a look see at that, you will note that there is no hot-haa! That is because it is hidden on a subscription only basis. If you register and go to the UserCP --> Group Memberships (under miscellaneous) you will find that you can request entrance to the hot haa. If you have requested entrance and it has been granted then and only then can you see the hot-haa.

I think that this is the way to go...

As for my impressions of VB3, I have been using it since it was in beta on a few other forums and love it. I say make the switch today!

NB.org 3.0 ftw!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
I hate to say...I actually have been on V3 before and didn't know it.
It was on that site that most people fromt the org don't like and I am afraid to mention it's name outloud...
It has something to do with VW's and another word for females...I believe the owners don't post anymore on the org - as well as the site has seemed to vanish over the last few months.

Anyhoo - I think there is an option to do multiple picture posting...are we going to enable this feature?

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
1,450 Posts
I think this looks rather easy to work. I was also on that "other site", but I still can't figure out how to work everything. Took me awhile to figure out the first .org, so I guess I'm just slow!!!

I think this looks more user friendly than what we were using!! BUT we need more smilies and avatars......I know....give it some time!!:D

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I too was on that *OTHER* site for a while, which is where I learned about the ability to make subscription only forums...

Not that we need an *ADULT* section on the .org, that I disagree with.

·
Super Moderator
8,917 Posts
CrazyJames said:
Yes I too was on that *OTHER* site for a while, which is where I learned about the ability to make subscription only forums...

Not that we need an *ADULT* section on the .org, that I disagree with.

Yeah - that's why I guess I understood the subscription only forums.
In fact the first time around I didn't ask for access and then when they brought thier site back up I did gain access to it....wasn't missing much.

Yeah - the Adult thing would never fly with NB.org...but that was kind of their hook on that site anyway.

·
Super Moderator
14,774 Posts
Is this gonna be the final thing? Am I allowed to settle in? ;)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
noR said:
Hey Jeff, admin me and I'll set it up as I did on Jam's server. It'll give us that same starting point at least.

noR
Ditto ;) zzzzzzz*

*Additional Characters for stupid post length requirements :p

·
Aphid is FUN!
1,747 Posts
Looks good to me.

Like I said on thread in the HideOut, I'm going to recommend we leave positive karma in place, and disable the negative karma. Other than that, I say go for it.

·
Super Moderator
1,131 Posts
There is no feature of vb3 called "karma." I believe you are referring to "reputation"...you've probably just been on a forum where they renamed reputation to karma. Reputation is enabled. The little green box on the right of your name (with each post) is your rep meter (there will be more green boxes as you get more rep). The little Blanca meter icon is what you click to add or take away rep points from someone.

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jcroft said:
James and Ron-

You've been Admin'd. Feel free to play around and do whatever (within reason). :)

Hrmm... my admin status has left me rather.. unsatisfied :p

Just a weeee bit locked down still :p (dont have rights to anything)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jcroft said:
Hmm, let me take a look...
For more info..
I only have access to the following categories of tasks
- Announcments
- Moderate (but locked down so I cant moderate users)
- Statistics/Logs (locked down so i cant view...)

I believe that noR has the same issues.. well he has his own issues but these ones we share ;)

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jcroft said:
Hmm, it looks like you should be able to access the control panel now James -- can you not?
Certainly can access it, but can't do anything usefull at the moment ;)

Perhaps thats for the best :p

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
jcroft said:
James, do you know if I have to do anything other than put you in the Administrators group? I thought that would do it...
Adding a user to the Administrator Group will give them access to the Admin CP with the following abilities:

Announcements
Moderation
Statistics & Logs

The only way I know how to do it is to add thier userID to the in the $superadministrators var in <root url>/includes/config.phpthough that will give more permissions then you might want to hand out...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts