NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1998 2.0L automatic Beetle for my daughter. I knew it had many problems when I purchased it and have been working through most of them. The speedometer is not working and there is a code P0501 for the VSS. Through searching on this site I have been able to narrow down the issue. It seems it is not being driven by the transmission. When the actual VSS is driven a drill, the speedometer will work. I pulled the piece below the senor out of the transmission and it seems OK. When this piece is installed in the transmission, it can be turned easily so it seems the gear is not engaged inside the transmission. What would be the next step? Can the cover on the back of the transmission differential case be removed to repair the issue? I know I need a service manual but have not bought one yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't understand what your explaining. The VSS is a prox. style sensor. There is a splined part on the output shaft, and the sensor reacts to the splines and voids on the output shaft, which sends a pulse signal to the ECM. The faster the output shaft spins, the faster the pulse. The ECM counts the pulses and determines the speed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't understand what your explaining. The VSS is a prox. style sensor. There is a splined part on the output shaft, and the sensor reacts to the splines and voids on the output shaft, which sends a pulse signal to the ECM. The faster the output shaft spins, the faster the pulse. The ECM counts the pulses and determines the speed.
The VSS that I am referring to is G22. The piece on the left is the sensor and it is driven by the piece on the right. The gear on piece on the right does not seem to be matting with the gear in the transmission of something is wrong with the gear in the transmission.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With some more searching, I think I found out what I need to do. The cover on the back of the differential case needs to be removed and also the passenger side half shaft. There is a gear on the half shaft that drives the shaft that drives the speed sensor. Probably should have posted in the transmission section.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts