NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how quiet it is inside the convertible with the top up. I rented a new PT cruiser convertible and with the top up it was quiter than in my pod. I was just wondering if it is the same in the NB.

·
OrangeLessTop
12 Posts
I can't tell you how it compares to the PT, but is much quieter than I expected. No wind noise, just louder than usual road noise when someone is directly next to you. Much less road noise than my hardtop Mini.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
It's just as quiet as my hardtop. And with the top down, windblocker in place, and windows up, you can have a normal conversation, too! I find this to be amazing, and didn't expect this with a convertible. :bigthumb:

Take a test drive, top up, top down, and you'll see what we mean~ :p

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I guess I'll be the loner on this one... with the top up, there's quite a bit of creaking from the A-pillars and header. Especially on rough roads, or going through tight turns.

But as far as wind noise... that is relatively quiet. If you were blindfolded and riding on a straight, smooth patch of road, you're unlikely to know you were even in a convertible.

And one of the things that always amazes me is just how fast in heats up inside on a cold day. I'm used to 'verts being cold on cold days... the cloth top unable to seal out the weather. My NBC feels every bit as "sealed" as a hardtop. Even in snow.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
I too was surprised how there is no wind noise and how quickly it heats up. But, unfortunately, there is a great deal of creaking!

·
Shadow's human
110 Posts
Blue_Stinkbug said:
I was just wondering how quiet it is inside the convertible with the top up. I rented a new PT cruiser convertible and with the top up it was quiter than in my pod. I was just wondering if it is the same in the NB.
I rented a Sebring convertible a couple years ago and was amazed at how much noise there was with the top up. It was just like having the top down. My wife swore then we'd never have a convertible. Suprise for her when I brought the NBC home. It is amazing how quiet the NBC is with the top up. The VW tops must be insulated much better than Chrysler Corp. tops.

SB

·
Registered
19 Posts
imsos04 said:
What is the fix to the creaking?:confused:

I wouldn't trust my service giys as far as I could throw them. (Alright, thats pretty far, but still).

My fix: keep the selas between the top and windows well cleaned and lubed. I like 303Aerospace to keep them soft, pliable and almost squeak free.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Its not bad at all...........

I agree with the mention of noise when someone is along side you...I drive a lot of freeway so it all sounds the same to me. A side note FYI...........I was worried last year come COLD WEATHER SEASON.....(my first winter) about if it would be really cold..........and I'll tell you.......it was sooo nice.!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am one of those that doesn't like hot heater air hitting me in the face or making my feet sweat.....It was very nice..and with the heated seats!!!!!! TOASTY!!!!!!!:)

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
tdibugman said:
I like 303Aerospace to keep them soft, pliable and almost squeak free.
Please elaborate on this product and your application.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its sold at marine stores and camping stores, for use in extreme applications - like a boat or camping gear. (I originally bought it for my kayak).

I use it on everything rubber and vinyl, as it has UV inhibitors and makes rubber very soft without drying it out. I apply it to the rubber top seals, vinyl boot, even the dash (it has almost no gloss). It does eliminate the squeaking of the windows against the top.

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
Thanks dude!

·
Registered
316 Posts
One thing you will notice is that when it rains, it sounds like you're in a tent, but fortunately it's sealed tight. Oh yeah, anyone find the rear window defroster to be REALLY slow?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts