NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the car and 2 times at start-up when cold it sounded like it was running on 2 or 3 cyc. One time i switched it back off and restarted and all was fine. Today it ran rough on start-up for maybe 3 or 4 min before it straghten out. Anybody have a clue?
PS. no warning lights came on when it was doing this.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, started the bug while it was cold and again very rough idle and the ck engine lite was fashing plus a strong smell of gas. After a little while it leved out but the lite was still on. Only ran it about 5min.

Anyone?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2001 beetle 2l gas did that for about 3 week turn out to be fuel pump relay.it would power the fuel pump up but it would not go to ground every time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Next time it does that unplug the maf sensor and see if it run better ,if it run better bad maf .make sure you dont have any vacuum leak

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure if this has any thing to do with the problem, but the lady i got the car from only drove it 1 maybe 2 times a month and it had a half of a tank of gas in it when i got it. I filled it up and drove it 120mi home and it ran great. Could it be water in gas?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Autozone scan says.

1. 300
2. 301
3. 302
4. 303
5. 304

All the coils is misfiring.

Any clues?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Found out today that the #4 coil was replaced 2 wks ago with the same rough idle and ck engine lite.
How do you check a coil since the scan is showing all 4 coils is misfiring?

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
What year is this NB? Do you know if the coilpacks were replaced under the coilpack recall?
I'm going to assume that it's a 2006 or newer with the 5cyl engine. Can't translate those scan codes to anything I recognize.
A VCDS scan would be a whole lot better.

Might help if we had more details.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,007 Posts
They posted in the 1.8T section so I'm assuming is '05 or earlier. Those codes are all for misfires (301-304 are misfires for each cylinder, 300 is random misfire).

I'd check and see if the coilpacks have been replaced.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They posted in the 1.8T section so I'm assuming is '05 or earlier. Those codes are all for misfires (301-304 are misfires for each cylinder, 300 is random misfire).

I'd check and see if the coilpacks have been replaced.

Please ck post 9&10 above

2000 1.8T

2000 yr model not on recall.

I know what the codes mean.

Now back to the question, does anyone know how to ck the coils to see if they are any good? All the coils can not be bad, it would not run.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts