VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forum and looking for some advice on dealing with a new electrical issue (OK, Gremlin might be a poor term but I had one of them too)with my 98 Beetle 2.0 5 speed. I've owned the car for sixteen years now and its been reliable as an anvil other than one little snit with a water temp sender and the usual maintenance items. That has allowed me the funds and time to mess with old muscle cars, motorcycles and various ill considered projects. And beer. I am in the cars debt.

But out of nowhere my trusty auto-servant has developed a glitch. The turn signals and four ways work fine UNTIL you put on the brakes. At that point the turn signals cease to blink though the indicator on the dash illuminates a solid green. By chance my driveway (OK it's more of a goat path) is at the bottom of a long downhill at the exit of the a blind corner. It's scary enough counting on other drivers to glance up from their cell phones mid-text to fathom what I am about to do even when I am able to signal intent. Yes, I am old enough to remember proper use of hand signals but the climate controlled and clueless road warriors around here do not. When I got to signal a right they seem to think I am either drying my nail polish or trying to get a better signal on my cell phone.
To add to the merriment I've noticed that with the ignition on but the engine off depressing the brake pedal lights up all the lights around the radio and HVAC controls in the dash.
I'm not sure whether to try the turn signal switch, the brake light switch or something else first. I am reasonably handy, have a bunch of tools scattered hither and yon thanks to my landlords teenage son, and a greek chorus full of car guy buddies to lend a hand or nod gravely in encouragement at the wisdom of my course of action while drinking my beer. Thanks for any help or advice.

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Well, it seems; bad or incompatible replacement bulbs, damaged/melted bulb sockets, the turn signal stalk fails or the flasher relay fails. If you have a vw compatible scan tool; I would scan it for trouble codes (check out the vag 401 on amazon.com or the ross tech vcds).

First, I would check the turn signal relay and bulbs/sockets; as it is much easier to remove those and because of how easy it is to remove the relay, it could be a easy diy fix or just replace it with a new one.

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...our-hazard-switch-turn-signal-relay-free.html

The signal stalk; wears over time and this is a known issue. To replace it: this would require removal of the airbag and steering wheel. Here is a tdiclub thread, discussing the problem. They try to repair it: however, if I was going through that much disassembly I would just replace it with a new one.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=151557

How-To: Flakey Turn Signal Clicking Fix. - TDIClub Forums

1 - 3 of 3 Posts