VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where in the VIN can I determine what engine I have? I was just looking something up on Autozones website & it list 3 different 2.5L engines for me to choose from.

Every vehicle I've ever dealt with used the 8th character, but it's obviously not with this one.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,414 Posts
I'm assuming you're looking for the engine code? That's usually on the timing belt cover, or stamped onto a tab on the head.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'm just an idiot. All of those are indicating a 3 digit code. I'm looking for a single letter. I have both the G & W in my vin that they are asking for.

Here is a screenshot from Autozone's website if it helps to show what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Did you find the engine code? What parts are you looking for? VW uses your vin # to look up correct parts; you might call Autozone, to correctly identify your particular car, what "alpha" they need, how to find it and see what other info is required on their site, to correctly look up the parts in the catalog. VW identifies their engines; by the three letter codes: (e.g. AEG, AWP, etc.).

For example; on the 2.5L: here are some listed engine codes:

ID code- BGP, BGQ, BPR, BPS
2.5-litre, 110 kilowatts (150 PS; 148 hp) — 2005–present Volkswagen Golf Mk5, Volkswagen Jetta Mk5, Volkswagen New Beetle

"PZEV"; are enhanced emissions engines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial_zero-emissions_vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Autozone & O'Reilly both said they need to know of its the F, W, or G engine code to look up parts. If I try to look them up myself it asks for the same information before I can go any further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts