NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just installed a new alternator it was running fine when I shut off my Volkswagen Beetle wouldn’t go back on the engine was hot can someone help please it’s a 2003

·
Registered
702 Posts
Explain that again please, with some detail about your car. What engine and transmission and why you had to change the alternator.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,074 Posts
Unless you added a turbo to it, its either a 2.0 non-turbo or a 1.8L turbo.

Did you check your battery voltage?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autozone said it’s was low but wen my husband remove the battery the car shut off he said the car was supposed to stay on wen u remove the battery

·
Registered
702 Posts
Never remove a battery while the car is running. If the alternator wasn’t charging then that is reason to change it out, a battery while not maintain a correct charge without a properly functioning alternator.

·
Registered
Remy - 2008 New Beetle 2.5S
25 Posts
A car won't run without a battery either, unless you mean that there was a secondary battery attached for a jump.

In that case something is probably wrong with the battery in the car if it dies when the jump battery is removed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
The easiest way to determine if you have charging or battery problems is with a multimeter. Sitting in your driveway with your car not running your battery should read 12.5-12.7 volts. Less than 12.5 means your battery is getting older. 12.2 or less is essentially a dead battery.
12.2 will start your car during the summer, however the first time it gets below freezing your car won’t start or will barely start.

With the car running you should be able to measure between 13.8-14.2 volts at the battery terminals. Less than 13.5 and the alternator won’t keep up with the electrical demands of your car.

Of course sometimes connections are loose or corroded, which can also be measured using the ohm side of the multimeter.

YouTube is a valuable resource to learn how to use a multimeter and Walmart , Home Depot or any auto parts store is a good place to buy a cheap digital multimeter. Usually less than $40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts