NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite poor showings in various quality surveys, not to mention anecdotal evidence abound, Volkswagen is tackling its vehicle quality problems head on, and is openly discussing the steps it will take to remedy them.

The J.D. Power Initial Quality Survey, regarded as the gold standard among industry types, pegged VW at 29th out of 32 brands, a poor showing for a company eager to sell 800,000 vehicles per year in the United States by 2018.

Volkswagen said that its warranty costs were down by 10 percent last year, and are on track for the same figure this year a figure that's adjusted for a new free maintenance program and a shorter warranty term. VW will be looking to improve its score on the J.D. Power survey, which includes not just defects but consumer complaints about functioning parts of the vehicle a criteria that some automakers have begun criticizing.

More: Volkswagen Admits Poor Quality, Assures American Consumers Of Improvements on AutoGuide.com

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
VW has always had a few quirks and glitches here and there, but for the most part, I've always felt that the company's quality and reliability reviews are blown way out of proportion.

And JDP makes cars at the bottoms of their lists look much worse than they actually are. For starters, they count all problems the same, whether you have a burned-out light bulb or a complete transmission failure. (Each of these would count as one problem, thus if Brand A blew a head gasket and Volkswagen had a headlight go out plus a bad turn signal switch, the VW would be listed as having twice as many problems!)

Also, their (JDP's) math is quite insignificant. If a VW has 30 more problems per 100 cars produced than the top-ranked brand whatever that is) this means that a single VW can expect to have .3 of more problems than the leading brand. In other words, you'd have to buy over 3 Volkswagens to experience one more problem than that top-ranked car. So what?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't forget the lousy dealers....

VW must improve its QA at the dealer service centers.

I have my '01 NB since new and a Mini Cooper since 2009. Although my Mini seems to have more expensive problems than my NB at 3 years old, the difference in service quality is huge. Mini is operated by BMW and they do a good job... at least the ones I've been to. With VW I have to pick and choose. There are people who drive 100 miles to visit a VW dealer that has a well-run service department. The one I go to will have cars lined up at 6:30am.

VW has a good product line. Improve supplier quality and service quality and they'll go far.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
VW must improve its QA at the dealer service centers.

I have my '01 NB since new and a Mini Cooper since 2009. Although my Mini seems to have more expensive problems than my NB at 3 years old, the difference in service quality is huge. Mini is operated by BMW and they do a good job... at least the ones I've been to. With VW I have to pick and choose. There are people who drive 100 miles to visit a VW dealer that has a well-run service department. The one I go to will have cars lined up at 6:30am.

VW has a good product line. Improve supplier quality and service quality and they'll go far.
I keep hearing this about Dearlerships, but I can't agree with your analysis totally. I have found, that regardless of the Brand, there are good Dealerships and bad, those that are successful, and those that are on the brink of collapse. I also believe VW has a long way to go, to compete in quality with the Toyotas, Nissans, etc. of the World. And I just read they are reducing their warranties on the 2012s???. I guess one could take that as either product improvement or cost reduction (increased profitability), think I'll opt for the latter.

I think it has more to do with the market, AND the competition. We have, at least at last count, six VW Dealerships in Houston. Three are owned by the same group, who also owns Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, Porsche, and Volvo Dealerships. Momentum Motor Cars | New Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo dealership in Houston, TX
This is the group I have dealt with for the last 15 years or so, Jaguar, Porsche, and VW. I could not be more satisfied with any of their facilities. Sales or Service. A test drive consists of being given a new vehicle to drive for a couple days, not a trip around the block with a salesman, and service is first rate. I have never had issues with any repair, as far as not being done timely or properly. The Porsche Dealership even has a track. You don't build a business like this by not offering quality work and competitive pricing.

The Houston market is one that spends money, and take care of their cars. The cost is not the deciding factor, the service is. Without a competent Service Department, these dealerships would not survive. WE wouldn't tolerate it.

As with any business, the level of service is dependent on ownership, not franchisor. Have you not been in good and bad McDonalds? Ever notice how places that are company owned typically are superior to those that aren't? Unless the way the auto industry is set up, and the manufacturers take over the selling and service outlets, this isn't going to change.

Driving through LA a few weeks ago, I saw a Toyota billboard from Toyota, touting either 67 or 76 (short term memory loss) LA Dealerships, can you imagine the competion for market share?

I do feel for people in smaller markets where Dealer ownership looks upon their market as captive. Too bad.

M.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I confess to having read horror stories of some VW dealerships' service, but this has nothing to do with the quality of the cars themselves. With that said, however, I live in a rather small VW market (Eau Claire Wi population 62,000 or so) and Car City Volkswagen/Audi has an excellent team of technicians and maybe the best Service Advisor in the country! When you meet this person, she puts 110% in her job and becomes a friend for life.

I am also very happy to learn that in the event the 2012 Beetle renders long waiting lists as the original New Beetle did back in 1998, this particular dealership will NOT jack up the price as so many did 14 years ago.

2012 Beetle, base 2.5 gas, stick, and Heritage wheels, Denim Blue or Platinum Gray, here I come! :D

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I didn't say there weren't good ones in small towns, there are. Or that there aren't bad ones in big cities, there are those too. Only that the quality and level of service is dictated by the Ownership and not the Brand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The one in roanoke VA is horrible, my NB had to have the rack and pinion replaced, and they quoted me 2k for the part and labor. Im a single mom I cant afford that. So I said well i see if I cant do it myself and there like oh you wont be able to, just bring it by monday and well see what we can do, well that was bull, I found a rebuilt part on ebay for less than 200 including core fee, ive been running on it for a year no problems. Took me 11 hours to do the job but got it done no problems. THen my temp light wouldnt turn off, the blue one, and there like well i dont know what sensor that is, but its definatly a sencor and this is the main repair man, So i asked a friend of mine, well D2Beetle and he right off told me the problem. I will never take my bug to a dealer, either ill do it myself or ill find a good quality import place that can handle it.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
In addition to my local good dealership that won't take advantage of unwary customers, we used to have an excellent independent mechanic that could work on all imports, but his specialty was European cars. Admittedly, he was a lot cheaper. Sadly, he suffered a debilitating stroke and is no longer in business. See, the problem here in Eau Claire Wisconsin is that very few (if any) indies will work on VWs.

The typical independent shop here consists of some guy named Gus who spits tobacco into a rusty Folger's can as he says, "We don't work on that there Furrin stuff!"

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The typical independent shop here consists of some guy named Gus who spits tobacco into a rusty Folger's can as he says, "We don't work on that there Furrin stuff!"
And I thought that was a Texas thing! (The chawin' thing) (lol)
Most of the independents here are either ricers or low ridres! Fortunately we have a good base of good Dealers here. Of course, I'm up for it if anyone knows of a local independent Bug shop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well said. I said the same thing a long time ago... I had to learn the hard way though. It took me a few years to figure out that my particular dealer had no interest in anything but making a huge profit off of many things that VW of America should have covered. DIY is a great way to go, especially for those who need to spend wisely.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The JD Power ratings are about worthless. I only hear talk about ratings on INITIAL quality. Most cars are fine initially, that's the easy part. What most owners care about is long term quality. This is how Hyundai and Kia can top the JD Power list (that and their dubious 10-year power train warranties). Personally, I wanna know how a vehicle has performed after 30K or more.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Try a TDI independent tech

One other note that may help everyone maintain their Beetle. I have found that there are quite a few TDI independent techs off of TDIClub.org that know both gassers and diesels and there is a list of recommended techs operating in your area on that site. We have had good success with a few of them. We also have attended their GTGs where they actually work on the vehicles and teach you to do stuff yourself and provide many of the tools you may not already have.

·
I love my Butterkup baby!
489 Posts
VW has always had a few quirks and glitches here and there, but for the most part, I've always felt that the company's quality and reliability reviews are blown way out of proportion.

And JDP makes cars at the bottoms of their lists look much worse than they actually are. For starters, they count all problems the same, whether you have a burned-out light bulb or a complete transmission failure. (Each of these would count as one problem, thus if Brand A blew a head gasket and Volkswagen had a headlight go out plus a bad turn signal switch, the VW would be listed as having twice as many problems!)

Also, their (JDP's) math is quite insignificant. If a VW has 30 more problems per 100 cars produced than the top-ranked brand whatever that is) this means that a single VW can expect to have .3 of more problems than the leading brand. In other words, you'd have to buy over 3 Volkswagens to experience one more problem than that top-ranked car. So what?
Totally agree with everything you said here!:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think it has more to do with the market, AND the competition. We have, at least at last count, six VW Dealerships in Houston. Three are owned by the same group, who also owns Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, Porsche, and Volvo Dealerships. Momentum Motor Cars | New Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mini, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo dealership in Houston, TX
This is the group I have dealt with for the last 15 years or so, Jaguar, Porsche, and VW. I could not be more satisfied with any of their facilities. Sales or Service. A test drive consists of being given a new vehicle to drive for a couple days, not a trip around the block with a salesman, and service is first rate. I have never had issues with any repair, as far as not being done timely or properly. The Porsche Dealership even has a track. You don't build a business like this by not offering quality work and competitive pricing.

The Houston market is one that spends money, and take care of their cars. The cost is not the deciding factor, the service is. Without a competent Service Department, these dealerships would not survive. WE wouldn't tolerate it.

M.
It must the water or the heat in Houston... you're very lucky to have good dealerships abound. Two of the closest VW dealers I called two days ago ask about the '12 Beetle... I was stunned. At 9:30am, both receptionists answered as though I just woke them up AT HOME...

She: Hello (nothing else... just a tired Hello)
Me: Uh... is this XYZ VW
She: (pause to think) yeah
Me: Can you pass me to Sales
She: (no response, passed call to Sales)

Not that there isn't good "service" dealers, there are few.

As for service as a must to make a profit, I'm sorry but my friend who works as an auditor for the biggest dealer network in the US says sales is *always* first, service secondary at her company... except for the high-end brands. Now the economy is in the tank and sales is slow, they're making an effort to improve service.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
The only complaint I can think of about my local dealership is that whenever I call to make a service appointment, I get voice-mails from the Service Advisors because they've either stepped out or are on another line. Then I have to leave my number for a callback. Sometimes, this only takes a few minutes, and at other times, hours will pass! But I guess that's what happens when a place is busy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Dealer - No Help

When I bought the used 2005 beetle and paid for the extra warranty, which covered nothing, the used car lot never paid for the "covered" repairs and sent it to the dealer. That job was done and I paid for it.

Then when I attempted to have a new axle put on the dealerships never got the part in and I ended up fixing it myself after a month of waiting.

Is the water pump covered since I hear it has a plastic impeller and I'm getting a "cooling system" malfunction code at 107,000 miles?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Okay, here's my Dealership story. '99 New Beetle, owned 2 years. Started having trouble with opening the door in June when I lost remote. I was using valet key. When I was stuck at the mall I called tow truck. Took me to local VW Dealership. I asked them to check door lock module. They kept the car overnight. When I went back they said nothing was wrong with module or key. BUT, what they did find was some issues with my rear hatch module, blah, blah, and in order to find out the problem it would cost me 2 or 3 hundred JUST to let me know, I opted to pass on that deal. Got a new remote and things were fine for a while. When it started again, I went to a highly rated independent VW mechanic in my area. They took the door panel off, found that the door lock module was on it's way out. Not totally dead but bad enough to cause it to work/not work intermittently. They replaced the module, tested it 15 or so times. It is working fine now. Not only that, the interior lights which NEVER worked since I owned the car now work. Moreover, they told me the other problems I have been having are probably due to a bad comfort control module. I will be getting that fixed next. Why didn't the dealesrhip figure that out when they had the car overnight? How is it that an independent VW mechanic could figure out two problems that the dealership could not? No bleeping wonder the dealership has such a bad rep. Don't think I will be going to that dealership again anytime soon. Bad, bad business. :(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts