NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. Retro
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the old forum. :)

Heard on the VW Alpha Drivers Webcast w/ Len Hunt and a couple of other guys on Sept. 7th.

I don't have the exact quote, but it was in response to a question sent in. Person asked (paraphrasing), "Will VW do something similar to the Alpha Driver program for models in development, so that the customers can have input during the design process?"

Len Hunt's response (again, paraphrasing), "That's a very good question, and we're actually planning something like this. Keep your eyes peeled, because sometime soon we will be asking your thoughts on a brand-new New Beetle model. You may have seen it at the Detroit auto show. It's called the Ragster, and you'll be able to give us input on the car as we consider it for production."

So, yes, the Ragster has a chance of production. Dunno when, but it's being discussed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Supposedly during the same webcast he stated the Concept R was being scrapped. Can someone confirm this? The Ragster was probably developed as a contingency plan in case plans for the Concept R fell through. It seems to be something of an indirect replacement for it. It's also probably the reason why the concept version only has two seats, not out of necessity but to keep with the sportser theme. I hope they rethink this. They should keep them unless there is truly some functional reason not to.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
They mentioned on the Alpha Driver site that we would soon be surveyed on what we think of the Ragster. I think they're really serious about this.

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
Dream car: The Dune with a similar interior to the concept, but the 2006 bodystyle, no backseat (just storage bins, like the concept), 4Xmotion a la Touareg with locking differentials, etc.instesad of the regular car-based 4motion setup, and the R5 TDI from the Euro-spec Touareg. A New Beetle with the gusto of a Land Rover. ;)

That said, if they finally build the Ragster, I'm going to be put in a very difficult position, since I don't want to give up Dawn or my diesel fixation for a "gasser" but the Ragster is so exacty what I'm looking for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts